cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5?

ginganutz
Joining in

Hi,

I'm suffering from poor UDP performance which seems to be related to the chipset in the 3/4 hubs - how do I go about getting a hub 5 without the gig upgrade? (no point getting the gig upgrade if the hub5 isn't going to solve the UDP issue at 350meg!).

Cheers,

Simon

15 REPLIES 15

Hi Simon, 

Thank you for coming back to us. Regarding access to the Hub 5 as soon as the trials have been completed and these are available to our wider customer base we will get in touch with customers who have been on a waiting list, or are eligible for the upgrade. There will be a press release as soon as the launch is announced!

Thank you for the extra data info regarding what is happening with your hub and what you believe to be the UDP issue. 

It will be helpful for us to know specifically what impacts you are seeing on your service as a result of these -

for example, are you seeing issues with streaming services / Apps, speed issues, intermittency on your connection?

Do you see the same impact across all devices on your network?

As your hub is currently in Modem mode we are unable to view some of the diagnostic data available, so any additional information you can give is greatly appreciated!

All the best! 

Molly

Hi,

Sorry been busy!

I wrapped my UDP vpn in a TCP tunnel and performance improved.. which is ridiculous.

Also as soon as I do any kind of UDP volume down (~160mbit on a ~350mbit connection) on a the UDP VPN all of my other devices suffer massively.

There's clearly a UDP problem somewhere - based on some searches I am not alone.

I guess I will have to suffer until the 5 goes on GA seen as you won't allow third party modems.

Thanks,

Simon

If you've had a UDP problem for years why are you still with VM? You've had the opportunity to leave and find another ISP without being penalised.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Thank you for contributing.

I've made no mention of time frames. For what it's worth I'm still in a contract period but that's irrelevant as I assumed there were helpful people on here.

This is a reasonably recent development and I am looking for helpful feedback so please do feel free to add some if you have any rather than unconstructive whataboutery.

For anyone else interested, I have some other testing ideas I hope to fiddle around with tomorrow to rule some other things out. This does seem to come and go which suggests a capacity issue somewhere to me.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There are many helpful people here, but very few I would guess have the experience you are looking for.   

I have a Hub 5 in modem mode and don't use VPN's so can't comment.  From memory there are some other threads on here about UDP, so a search may find something useful.

As for a solution, I would suggest you will be on your own as I'm guessing VM CS will not be able to provide much, if any assistance.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Greets ginganutz,

You are correct with your diagnosis. You're probably seeing traceroutes be shaky as they are also using UDP so are stuck in the queue waiting to use the quite overworked CPU on your Hub.

The firmware fix was a workaround to hide a hardware problem. It took UDP out of a previously hardware accelerated path and through CPU resulting in the performance limit you're seeing and the overall degradation to performance - even with hardware accelerated traffic if the CPU is maxed out you're in for issues with all traffic.

The Hub 5 isn't released, supply chain issues have delayed that a bit. Software issues have also been a problem. The Hub 4 and Hub 5 were not purchased because they're good, they were purchased because Liberty Global received a nice discount from Arris after the issues with the Hub 3. The firmware development process seems quite asinine and the stubborn refusal to use off the shelf firmware causes grief.

It would be far easier if they either supplied modems to those who wanted them or allowed people to bring their own devices but they struggle enough supporting their own equipment let alone BYOD.

Good luck getting this resolved. It's not great when every IP protocol besides 6 seems dicey.