cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5

DarronF
Tuning in

I upgraded to 1 gig and was told I will soon get an upgraded hub from 4 to 5 as the hub 5 has a 2.5g ethernet port, how do I go about requesting a replacement hub being sent.?

10 REPLIES 10

carl_pearce
Community elder

@DarronF wrote:

I upgraded to 1 gig and was told I will soon get an upgraded hub from 4 to 5 as the hub 5 has a 2.5g ethernet port, how do I go about requesting a replacement hub being sent.?

VM aren't supplying the HUB 5 to customers on Gig1 at the moment.

So let me get this right..? Your selling 1 gig connections but not giving the equipment to be able to use the 1 gig connection. (My hub 4 maxs out at 845 Mbs) this is due to the router only being 1000mb instead of 2.5gb..!!! btw 845Mbs is about right given overheads, but your selling downloads of upto 1145Mb on a 1gb connection..??!! isn't this false advertising, also why have other customers back in October last year been given a hub 5 when they upgraded and I haven't..??? (Check your own forums for people that been given a hub5, ie do a search "Hub 5" will prove my point.

I'm afraid the above advice is correct. If you are on the Gig One tier, VM absolutely WILL NOT send you a Hub 5 - the reason being that on this tier, you are entitled to free WiFi pods to 'improve' your wifi provision. Unfortunately said pods are incompatible with the Hub 5 so that's a bit embarrassing if you are fully entitled to be given hardware which won't work.

Now this promise to send you a Hub 5, did the sales person offer it straight off the top of their head or did you 'ask' for one and they agreed? Remember they are sales people and will promise the earth to secure a sale!

@DarronF wrote:

So let me get this right..? Your selling 1 gig connections but not giving the equipment to be able to use the 1 gig connection. (My hub 4 maxs out at 845 Mbs) this is due to the router only being 1000mb instead of 2.5gb..!!! btw 845Mbs is about right given overheads, but your selling downloads of upto 1145Mb on a 1gb connection..??!! isn't this false advertising, also why have other customers back in October last year been given a hub 5 when they upgraded and I haven't..??? (Check your own forums for people that been given a hub5, ie do a search "Hub 5" will prove my point.

1145Mbps across multiple devices concurrently.

Nowhere states on one device, so no, not false advertising.

And when you say 'Your' you do realise this is a community forum? I don't work for VM, I'm a customer.

Probably worth reading into what you are signing up for before accusing...

https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/gigabit

What's the Gig1 difference?

Thanks to average download speeds over 1Gbps – that’s 1,130Mbps – Gig1 Fibre Broadband gives you more speed to spread across your connected devices. Gig1 Fibre Broadband also helps to keep online gaming smooth, minimising lag while keeping your ping rate low. So, there’s no excuse if you’re not top of the leaderboard.

Oh that is clever.. take my hat off to virgin for that slight of hand...lol

@DarronF wrote:

No slight of hand. Plenty of info on their site (Updated post above).

When the HUB 5 is officailly released to Gig1 customers yes you will get full speed on one device, assuming you have a device:

• that has a 2.5Gbps ethernet port.
  • that has a WiFi 6 card (This is not guaranteed to see full speed due to environmental conditions).

@DarronF wrote:

Slight of hand? Well, you might think think that; I, of course, couldn't possibly comment!

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Things will be simpler is VM changes 1Gb to 900Mb with a price cut.
---------------------------------------------------------------

You should be able to get 945mb on a single port not 845.