cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 via TP Link VR2800 degraded download speeds

IndianaBlues
Tuning in

I've got my new Hub 5 on Volt 1Gig connected via the hub's 2.5gb port to my TP Link router in modem mode. The TP link's internal speed checker shows between 450-490mbps download (and usually around 90 upload, which is fine), which is much less than when I put the Hub in router mode, where SamKnows is showing between 800-1100mbps download. On my previous VM 250 broadband I was regularly getting close to the expected speeds through the TP link, so I'm not sure if I need to make some config changes on that end to account for the extra speeds?

I've tried a brand new Cat6 cable to see if that was the issue, but it's made no difference. The router itself is set up using the same settings as suggested in this thread on the TP link forum (I've tried deleting and recreating the Dynamic IP profile in case that was somehow locked to the lower speeds):

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/577430

Normally I'd just ditch the TP link and go straight through the VM Hub, but I've got a lot of custom rules and filtering of YouTube, TikTok etc from the kids' devices on the TP Link that I won't be able to replicate on the Hub, hence wanting to persevere with this option! 

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Something in the TP-Link settings is limiting your speeds.  QoS? Thats the place to look first.

Or some software on your device(s) is doing this.   Dell uses "SmartByte" for this for example.  Also antiviral packages do similar things.

Boot the device into safe+networking mode and test speeds again.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John, 

I should have said I've already turned QoS off,  and have also tried toggling the firewall and IGMP Snooping off to negligible effect.

The speed test I'm running is hosted on the router itself, so it's taking the values as it receives data from the Hub5 rather than my phone/ laptop getting in the way (see below)... on that note though Google's Broadband Speed Test page is showing 80mbps download on my phone, so even lower than the TP link is receiving it at...

Screenshot_20230907_144943_Chrome.jpg

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What is it on the laptop in safe+networking mode?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

You might need a new router...

You can unconnect the TP link router from hub and the WAN port to a PC with a web server with a big test file that PC to TP link LAN side can download to do a local speed test.

---------------------------------------------------------------