Menu
banjoboy96
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Hub 4 slow speeds in modem mode

Hi all,

A couple of days ago I decided to switch to the Gig1 package and received my Hub 4 last night. I have an ASUS RT-AC86U as my main router with two RT-AC68U AIMesh nodes so I set to work putting the Hub 4 into modem mode and connecting it to the AC86U. Once I did this I tried an Ookla speed test and was getting 50Mbps upload but only about 300-350Mbps download. I then tried to have a look at the Hub to check the max traffic rate and see if I was technically supposed to be getting 1Gbps yet but found I couldn't get to the web UI. I decided to be patient and leave it til the next day.

This evening I had a bit more time so I factory reset the Hub and confirmed that I'm supposed to be getting 1Gbps, so I tried doing the fabled SamKnows test and, lo and behold, got 1Gbps to the Hub. At this point I put it back into modem mode only to immediately find my speeds back down at the 300-350Mbps mark. I also then found that after about 5 minutes in modem mode I was unable to get back into the Hub's web UI.

Are there known issues with the Hub 4's performance in modem mode? Given that the router I'm using isn't exactly a low-end one I find it hard to believe that simply introducing that into the equation is enough to reduce my speed by more than half! With the Hub's web UI timing out I'm wondering if for some reason it can't perform well in modem mode, resulting in the reduced speeds? Or perhaps I've been unlucky enough to get a dodgy hub?

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 4 slow speeds in modem mode

hub in modem mode is 192.168.100.1

Or VM have crippled modem mode with the new firmware....

Connect a PC to the hub with the hub in modem mode no router you may have to power off the hub for 2mins or unplug replug the Ethernet cable to get internet then test your speed. If speed is good connect PC to your router login and find the clone MAC option to copy your MAC over then connect the router to the hub check you have the same IP and do a speed test.

---------------------------------------------------------------
banjoboy96
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 4 slow speeds in modem mode

Thanks for replying so quickly! I've just got home and had a chance to try your suggestions.

I tried to connect a PC directly to the Hub while in modem mode, and after a couple of reboots managed to get an Internet connection. Once I did I tried an Ookla speed test and was getting about 650 down 50 up - it's around peak time right now so I assumed this means I would theoretically get the full gigabit normally. So then I did as you suggested and cloned the MAC of my PC to my router, and connected my router back to the hub, only to find the download speed immediately dropping back to the 300-350 range. One thing that has changed is I'm able to get to the Hub UI more reliably, but it seems the speed issue still isn't resolved.

I'm guessing this all means the problem lies with my ASUS router but I wouldn't know where to start! I still find it hard to believe that a ~£150 router isn't capable of handling a gigabit connection and I've seen mentions elsewhere online of people with the same router getting much better speeds! I guess the next thing to try would be to factory reset the router and see how it fares, unless there's anything else I could try that would spare me having to set my network up from scratch again? 

0 Kudos