Menu
x3noc
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hub 4 - not as advertised, unsuitable for mainstream adoption.

I've posted elsewhere here on my experience of hub4 and how it is unusable but it ended up with me replying to myself and didn't progress at all.. 
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Hub-4-Jitter-Gaming-Lag-VOIP-unusable-on-WIRED-connection...

A couple of points:

The blurb on the website informs me of an engineer installing the kit and doing a wifi assessment. 
This was the reason i got the dam thing as i know my house needs repeaters. It says up to 3 repeaters are free. 

Real world experience - No engineer and no repeaters. 

Secondly my Hub4 has a problem... 

Speed looks fine but VOIP and Gaming are a car crash. Neither my wife or i can work, Teams calls are just a broken embarrassing mess and we've lost almost a weeks worth of credibility from our respective employers since installation. 

I've spent two hours a day on hold waiting for VM to provide me the same tired response each time of "have you rebooted it", "have you factory reset it"...
After day three of this fiasco i asked to have my Hub3 re-enabled, this was so called completed...
Not once did it get activated - turns out my 1gb package can't be active on a Hub3 modem. 

Day 6.... Downgrade package back to hub3 please.... 
Ok but it will be £10 a month more than you were paying and you'll need a new 18 month contract where i had none prior... 
I managed to get this sorted but the real kicker....

We'll have to post a new modem out to you... 

WTAF guys! I've lost almost a weeks worth of work now as has my wife.  I'd use the complaint web form but its just a big a joke...

x3noc_0-1597825975544.png

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 4 - not as advertised, unsuitable for mainstream adoption.

Hello

I have escalated to the VM forum team, somebody will be along in this thread to resolve it for you.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi x3noc

Thanks for posting. My apologies for the broadband issues.

I can see from checking the system we have sent a new modem out to you and should reach you tomorrow. We should not be re-activating old equipment so I will be feeding that back to the relevant people.

Please let us know how the new router is

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
x3noc
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thats it? 

No engineer, no route to fix for hub4 your flagship new product? 

No installation, no wireless survey, no repeaters? 

No comment on wasting 6 days of my life, reputational damage for being unable to host and collaborate during meetings not to mention the 12 hours on the phone to support?

No getting me up and running again by enabling old router that is two feet away from me and been rock solid for 5 years?

No comment on trying to charge me more for something i had prior to the upgrade?

No comment on the complaints site being unable to accept anything other than a mobile issue? 

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As I have stated above, we should not be enabling the old equipment and as such have sent you a new router.

I can see from checking the system, you were previously offered an engineer but declined it due to the date offered being September. As such you requested going back to the hub 3 which required changing of the account. The fact you have been told this previously and we can see that from the system meant I didn't say it in my first reply. I am sorry if you felt I should have however.

If you do wish for an engineer, it will be as you've previously been told for the timescales.

Let me know how you wish to proceed,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
x3noc
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As I have stated above, we should not be enabling the old equipment and as such have sent you a new router.
Why when it delays the instant resolution of my problem? 

I can see from checking the system, you were previously offered an engineer but declined it due to the date offered being September.
No - You cancelled the engineer, nobody offered to rebook it...
17/08/20 - 10:30  "Hi, it's Virgin Media. We've put your service visit on hold while we investigate a network problem affecting your services. We'll update you when this is fixed."

17/08/20 - 13:16 "Hi this is Virgin Media. We've fixed the network issue affecting your services. Please restart your equipment and wait 30 mins. Still stuck? Reply with HELP."

Me @ 18/08/20 - 08:00 "HELP"

"Sorry about this. Turn everything off then on again and wait 30 min (this does work!) You can get additional support on setup and using your new kit by clicking www.virginmedia.com/QSHELP. Still stuck? Reply HELP again"

Me @ 18/08/20 - 08:00 "HELP"

"Okay. We're sorry to hear that. Call our team on 08009539500 and we'll help you get to the bottom of it."

Still not got to the bottom of it and no engineer offered, even though i'd asked. 
I only suggested the downgrade due to an inability of anyone to improve or even diagnose my issue.
I would have been and still are willing for an engineer to come and install my Hub4 and confirm it works as advertised. 

Are you suggesting i kept the broken service and not be expected to work until the 1st of September?
Surely my downgrade option to the old kit was a quick and efficient and above all a common sense resolution to the issue prior to an engineer being able to do a site visit and do further diagnosis?

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

We can book in the engineer visit should you wish for this to happen.

Let me know how you wish to proceed

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Looks to me like the customer relationship has or is close to breaking down. 

Possibly if the new hub arrives tomorrow and fixes the problems, then there's "only" the wasted customer time, lingering disappointment, potential wifi issues, reputational harm, and unsatisfactory connection for a week or so that need to be resolved.  As @x3noc  has already raised a complaint, that's presumably "in the system", and if that doesn't get a satisfactory outcome then after eight weeks you can escalate to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS, where you can expect a fair hearing.   

Consider what outcome you now want.  You could demand to be released from contract without penalty if the relationship has broken down completely and VM cannot supply a reliable gigabit connection, or if the contractual outcome is unagreed (eg the new 18 month contract with a sub gigabit speed you refer to).  Formal complaints and appeals to CISAS are not quick, so don't expect miracles, particularly at the moment.

And finally, using the weak Poundland routers built into any ISP's hub is asking for trouble if the local wifi environment is not favourable, and expecting those deficiencies to be solved by connecting crummy powerline boosters is unlikely to be satisfactory.  I doubt VM ever intended for network technicians to conduct a survey and offer capable advice on wifi needs and installation, sounds like VM's marketing copy writers got carried away.  If your property is a difficult wifi environment, then regardless of your ISP, I would recommend you should take matters into your own hands and buy a wireless mesh system.  There's decent low cost ones from only sixty to seventy quid, but if you're on 500+ Mbps then you might want to push the boat out for a tri-band mesh, or even a Wifi 6 standard mesh, which would be in the £250-300 range.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks