I upgraded to the Hub4 and Gig service for an extra (£15 a month x 18 month contract) £270 but the service is at best no faster than the Hub3, with speeds at half the advertised rate.
Had a great service from Virgin Media with their 350 and 500 services and it's the same set up.
Despite factory resets, reboots, unplugging for half an hour, playing with the settings, gesticulating at the box and murmuring profanities, speeds are the same as before but now I'm paying £270 more.
I've contacted the company and they said the service looks ok at their end, I've run SamKnows which varies wildly between 500-900, but standard speed tests which confirmed the Hub3 was working brilliantly, show the Hub4 only providing a 500Mbps service marginally worse than the Hub3.
I've read about others with similar problems with no obvious resolution, as I'm still in the legal cooling off period anyone any bright ideas on how to get Gig speeds before I return the equipment?
Whilst formally within accepted limits, your downstream SNR looks a bit borderline to me, although whether that's material I can't say - as power levels vary over time they could be worse and therefore out of limits at times. When they pick up this post the forum staff can take a more thorough look at hub data, and they are friendly, helpful and do their best, unlike the offshore telephone mumblers. Give that a day or two for a response, see what they say. They may identify a fault, get a technician booked who'll fix it first visit, and then everybody is happy.
Regarding reverting the upgrade, much depends on the forum staff response - choose wisely. Do you really need 1 Gbps? Only you can answer that question, and if the answer is yes then you need to stick with it and force VM to get things working properly, potentially by repeating tests to get at least one instance of speeds below the minimum guarantee on three consecutive days, and invoking the VM minimum speed guarantee. Sometimes a single tech visit is enough to sort these out, sometimes the problem is elusive and requires repeated visits and considerable persistence on the part of customers.
If the answer to do you need it is "no, I just thought it was a nice idea" then (subject to any reply by staff here) cancel now, and don't be persuaded by any garbage from the agent when you phone to downgrade like "it takes a few days to settle down" or offers to send a technician out that take you outside the 14 days. You usually won't have to return the Hub 4 in that situation.
Made me smile when you wrote "no, I just thought it was a nice idea" as if you had been part of the decision making process (which was minimal) replying to a sales call, it’s the truth! I’m just a deeply insecure male over compensating for my inadequacies by trying to get a bigger broadband speed, did this message get to you any more quickly?
Be assured that no criticism was intended of your decision or any rationale - "because I want it and it's my money" is 100% a very good reason. If VM customers on higher speeds were able to see a bandwidth utilisation (chart of speed used over time) for their connection I suspect whilst the technically knowledgeable would be unsurprised, rather a lot of customers would be utterly horrified at how infrequently they use the speeds they pay for. I know I don't stretch my 200 Mbps connection at all, and would probably not even notice a halving to 100 Mbps or even 80 Mbps, but I'm in no hurry to downgrade - not all speed choices are (nor need to be) on the ruthless logic of peak or average bandwidth needs.
Where I was heading was that if dealing with VM to get things working as promised is onerous, and it was a "nice to have" decision, then possibly the balance of effort to resolve for you versus actual benefit might tip towards reverting. But as I say, your choice!
Thanks for reaching out to us here on the community 🙂
I am sorry to hear the speeds you are receiving are lower than expected, I would be happy to help with this.
I have taken a look from our side and can see that the equipment has logged some issues with the downstream levels within the last 7 days.
With this being the case, I am going to need to book a technician to come and take a look.
To get this arranged, I will just need to pop you over a private message to grab a few details and we can go from there. This message will be available via the purple envelope on the top right of this page.