cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 speed

johnnattrass
Joining in

Hub 3 installed 2 days ago. Speed is high then low. Is this normal?

8 REPLIES 8

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

WiFi or ethernet?  What devices?

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hi johnnattrass,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

Sorry to hear you're having some issues with your connection. 

Are you able to give us some more information?

As jpeg1 has asked, are you using a wired or wireless connection?

Are there any specific devices that are experiencing this problem?

Have you been through any diagnostics via our status page here

Alex_Rm 

smart tv x3,  3x mobiles. laptop,2x Xboxs.

Mobiles always connected but other devices not always on.

WiFi speeds are always variable.

What is your contract speed, and what speed to you get with the laptop connected with an ethernet cable? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Havnt tried ethernet connection on laptop yet. Virgin media team are sending me one out but surely dropping from 200mbs to 1.5mbs cant be right. Im doing the speed check off of my mobile.

Until you do that test you won't know whether it's the WiFi that's wrong or if the broadband connection is at fault.

- jpeg1

Ok, cheers. Ill give it a go.

Hi johnnattrass, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this.

As WiFi can be so fickle, it's surprising how much it can drop the signal unless it's 'happy'. We have a link that will help you to optimise the WiFi connection though. Just click here

When running the speed test, make sure the Hub is connected to the Laptop through the ethernet cable. Turn the Hub off and leave off for a minute or so. Once you've done this, turn the Hub back on and wait for it to be fully set up. Make sure all the devices usually connected through WiFi are disconnected before running the speed test through speedtest.net. Pop a screenshot of your results here and we can go from there 🙂

Speak soon,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs