Menu
sidhutech
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 internet connection unreliable

I have been with Virgin Media for over 8 years now with a stable internet connection. Since September my internet has started playing up with connection drops, my wired and wireless devices are all impacted and rebooting the Virgin router seems to solve the problem until it happens again. I contacted support in September and they sent me a new Hub 3 which seems to be identical model to the one I had before. I have attached below my BQM screenshot for today's outage some other router logs, can you help?

sidhutech_0-1606402824396.png

sidhutech_0-1606403092375.png

sidhutech_1-1606403131018.png

sidhutech_2-1606403142820.png

sidhutech_3-1606403154013.png

sidhutech_4-1606403169506.png

sidhutech_0-1606403233403.png

sidhutech_1-1606403243130.png

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 internet connection unreliable

@sidhutech wrote:

I have been with Virgin Media for over 8 years now with a stable internet connection. Since September my internet has started playing up with connection drops, my wired and wireless devices are all impacted and rebooting the Virgin router seems to solve the problem until it happens again. I contacted support in September and they sent me a new Hub 3 which seems to be identical model to the one I had before. I have attached below my BQM screenshot for today's outage some some router logs, can you help?

sidhutech_0-1606402824396.png

sidhutech_0-1606403092375.png

sidhutech_1-1606403131018.png

sidhutech_2-1606403142820.png

sidhutech_3-1606403154013.png

sidhutech_4-1606403169506.png

sidhutech_0-1606403233403.png

sidhutech_1-1606403243130.png

Your Downstream Power Levels are far too high.

This will need an engineer to put right.

You can either call in (08:00 is the best time) or wait on here for a few days (6 to 7 days average) until one of the VM Forum Staff comes along.

If you wait on here Do Not bump the thread it will put it further down the VM 'to do list'.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
sidhutech
Joining in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike,

I reported the problem this morning. I was first told that there are no problems visible "our end" and that I should reset my router and disconnect my third party router. I explained that I have been facing these issues for two months now and have a external monitor recording the problems and also notice that I can not ping the Virgin router when these problems happen, the only action I take is to reboot the Virgin router that seems to settle things down for a number of days. I also told them about my forum post and your advice. I was then told there is a cabinet issue in the area and I should just give them a few days and this issue should be resolved. I did ask for a ref/ticket number for the existing cabinet issue they are working on and was told that there was no ref/ticket number and these problems are indicated on their screen as "signal level issues and prolong issues". I'm not filled with confidence but have no choice but to wait and hope, I have check with the neighbours and they too have had issues. 

Thanks Mike for your quick response

0 Kudos
sidhutech
Joining in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

My internet problems continue, the slow downs have been infrequent since my last post but still annoying when it happens during hosting a Webex call. I have noticed that I get no ping response from the Virgin router when the problems occur. I've monitored pinging the Virgin router on 192.168.100.1 (via a wired connection) and noticed it fails to respond often throughout the day and the ping failures happen more when my internet slows down. Does this indicate a hardware fault with the router or does it fail to respond because the software crashes?

Thanks

Harjit

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

It's very unlikely that the hub is faulty (and indeed the one that's already been replaced probably had nothing wrong with it).  I would suspect ignoring LAN pings may be because the hub's processor is fully occupied trying to resynch some or all of it's 28 wireless channels.  Although this often looks to users like a reboot, it's rare for a hub to spontaneously reboot - more commonly it's having to scrap its connection and renegotiate with VM's network gear, and the LED cycles through the same sequence as occurs after you manually reboot it as it's doing the same process to connect.  This is also why when the connection goes lousy a reboot often temporarily helps - that can sort out a hub that's just "drifted off", but it can't fix any underlying network problem that might be triggering the loss of connection. 

Looking at your BQM it's clearly a faulty connection on the VM side of things, I'm surprised that the agent claimed there was a fault being worked on but no reference number - that's VERY unusual, the the point of questioning its accuracy.  I'll flag this thread for a forum staff response to see if they can clarify what's going on and whether there is a recognised fault.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
sidhutech
Joining in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the clarification on the router appearing to reboot when it was not. This is exactly what I observed when my outages were longer and I had assumed it was rebooting, as I was not able to ping it or reach the web interface for a few minutes. My Virgin router is in modem only mode so I assume the WIFI elements are switched off and not consuming any router resources. I have attached my BQM for the last 24hrs the dropped packets shown after 10am was around about the time when my Webex call starting having problems, although I was getting problems with my audio throughout the day. I hope it is more stable today and will need to call support again when I can make the time for the call.

sidhutech_1-1607420308740.png

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sidhutech,

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your services looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration. I would be more than happy to look into this for you. 

I have already looked into your service on my side and found there is an SNR outage in your area at the moment which is the root cause of your issue. I can see the estimated fix date is 11 Dec 2020 15:00, the fix date and times are only estimates due to the nature of technical faults, so they may change and fluctuate depending on what issues the engineers find. I am sure they are working round the clock to get this issue resolved for you.

If you ever want to check for any area outages in future you just need to go to our Service Checker which is a really handy site!

I am of course sorry for any inconvenience this is causing!

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
computerguy
Tuning in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sidhutech,

I have exactly the same problem, I'm in Se14, London, wondered if we are local to eachother. 

I get high latency and packet loss sporadically, with increasing frequency, (my firewall sees this as an outage which drops the connection altogether) then I get really high latency and 50-60% packet loss, which requires a physical reboot of the hub (also in modem mode). 

Speaking to Virgin support is almost pointless, have you reset (yes)? Put in in Router mode (no thank you)? Plug an ethernet loop into the back of the hub and see if lights flash? Book an engineer. The engineer will then agree onsite that the local Virgin network is probably over utilised, but when you speak to Virgin they claim its not. It is frustrating to say the least. 

Capture.PNG

Essentially, poor service and frequent inability to ping the internet when in use, largely fine over night, periodically unusable, reboot sorts it out. 

What causes this, and how do we get Virgin techs to engage and resolve. One rep told me to switch to business service. Cant commit to 2 years when the service as yet is so poor. 

I'm stuck. megan_L - Please help? 

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hello there ComputerGuy,

Thanks for joining in on the conversation, I am sorry you're also having an issue with your broadband service. 

Usually what we would ask you to do is just follow these links in order to try and resolve it before we have a look- 
Slow Speeds Help
intermittent Connection
We may also ask you for a bit more information so we can understand your specific issue like have you checked your speed using our Speed test site here? If you can do this for me now it would help me quite a lot to gain info about your issue.

Also we may need you to use a BMQ graph to gain more of an insight into your HUB's performance, I can see you've already done this and it is showing some clear drops with packet loss and latency so thank you for that!

We also may need to you reboot your HUB so that the data on the HUB's logs can reset, this helps the performance and also helps us identify any issues on our side. 

If you can follow these steps for me it will help me get a grip on this issue you're having. 

Whilst you are doing this, I will also send you a PM so I can grab your account info so I can have a look at your services on my side.

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
computerguy
Tuning in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Megan, see below for responses, PM whenever. 

Thanks for prompt response also, most appreciated. FYI, having spoken to the staff at VM via text, they're sending an engineer on 10/12/20, this will be the second visit in two weeks. The last one resolved the downstream issues, with additional attenuator on the back of the hub.

Usually what we would ask you to do is just follow these links in order to try and resolve it before we have a look- 
Slow Speeds Help  - Yes, followed these
intermittent Connection - Yes followed this  

To clarify, my hub is in modem mode, so much of the above is directed at router mode. I only require the WAN uplink from the virgin equipment. 

We may also ask you for a bit more information so we can understand your specific issue like have you checked your speed using our Speed test site here? Yes, the speed when only one device is plugged in is usually 350MB and more. Over time, the issue presents as described, deteriorating connection and drops entirely. 

Also we may need you to use a BMQ graph to gain more of an insight into your HUB's performance, I can see you've already done this and it is showing some clear drops with packet loss and latency so thank you for that! Yes, note the huge packet loss and latency this morning, until hub reboot. 

We also may need to you reboot your HUB so that the data on the HUB's logs can reset, this helps the performance and also helps us identify any issues on our side. As above, I've done this today, and last week. I'd like to avoid a scenario where I do it every day

0 Kudos