Menu
CYD
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hub 2 or 3 for speed

Apologies for long post…..

18 months ago I had various issues with VM home phone and broadband which resulted in new cable being installed from outside to my property.  The final issue an engineer came out to try and sort out why my speed (wifi) never got above 100 mbs and often at busy times of the day was down to 40-50 – I pay for 200mbs.  He installed a superhub 3 which then halved my speed and never went above 50! – I was told there was no more that could be done as my laptop will only connect 2.4 and not 5 and that is why I cannot get full speed. So I ended up going back to the hub 2.  This of course took many hours of calls and missed visits from VM when they never turned up and then they turned up out the blue without notice – customer services as many people say is the worst I have ever come across.

So roll forward to current situation and I wanted to watch a prime film in my kitchen – hub is in lounge - and I found it was continually buffering and not watchable.  I assumed this was all to do with the speed again – having checked I was getting 100’ish where the hub is but in the other room, not far away it is down to 35-45.  So I plucked up courage to ring VM – 2 aborted attempts having held on for an hour a time then finally got through and was told I need a hub 3, explained that had been tried before and it was worse but he said have to try again!  Today the hub 3 arrives, before installing I checked speed with hub 2 and it was 98.  Installed hub 3 and with just my laptop and mobile connected sitting in the same room as the hub 3 max speed I have got through the day is 55. I have rebooted everything but it never goes above 55.  Ethernet I get over 200 but who is going to sit connected to a hub. So the hub 3 gives me half the speed of my old hub 2.

I cannot face ring VM and hanging on for hours on end and getting nowhere – when I phoned this week I asked about getting a booster but was told that would not work and I would have to pay extra for it – I do have XL TV so thought it was included but things are always changing.   I have also read they are rubbish so it probably is right they will not work.  All I want is to get what I pay for so I can stream a film in another room.

Does anyone have any suggestions – or hopefully someone from VM will read this saga and offer some help/advice.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 2 or 3 for speed

The speeds you are quoting (mid 50s) are typical of a device that is only 802.11g capable on the 2.4GHz frequency so the blame cannot be laid at VM's door.

Forget Wi-Fi for now.

What speeds do you get at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better ethernet cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
CYD
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your quick reply - when connected via ethernet I get 200.

I do blame VM for saying I would get faster speed with a hub 3 than hub 2 - even though I told them that had been tried previously, with their engineer present, and it halved my speed then as it has done today.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

VM are putting the contracted speed to the Hub so all is good in that respect.

Go into your PC Network Settings, what does it say for the Wireless Card Description ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
CYD
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank you - not sure exactly where to go for that/what info - is it this? Qualcomm Atheros AR956x Wireless Network Adapter

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@CYD wrote:

Thank you - not sure exactly where to go for that/what info - is it this? Qualcomm Atheros AR956x Wireless Network Adapter

After a few minutes searching around it seems that your Wi-Fi card cannot connect to 5GHz signals and the 2.4 GHz capability is not very good either.

TBH you would be as well purchasing a dual band USB Wi-Fi adaptor to help you along and hopefully the better antenna on the adaptor will help your connection. Be aware though, the speeds are commensurate with their price. 

0 Kudos
CYD
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your help -  I still can't understand why the speed drops by 50% between what VM call the updated newer hub (3) compared to the old hub (2). I will be better off going back to my old hub 2.  I just wonder what the even newer hub 4 will offer 🙄

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Don't go there, after reading hundreds of threads on here it is no better than previous Hubs and is quite possibly worse for those of us not on the 1Gbs service.

Go into the device manager and see if there any updated drivers available for the Wi-Fi card.

0 Kudos
CYD
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Wi-fi drivers are up to date.  I think I will just have to accept I do not get the speed I would hope for/pay for and blame it on my "equipment".  I will change back to my hub 2 once I have the time to change everything over again. Would you expect a booster to boost what speed I have into another room or is that a waste of time trying?

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Boosters are totally dependant on the condition of your mains electrical circuit. 

You would be far better off getting a decent Router or Mesh System.

0 Kudos