Menu
Epimetheus
Joining in
Message 1 of 27
Flag for a moderator

How to report and/or fix regular low bandwidth and high latency?

Every weekday afternoon my broadband becomes unusable. I have set up a thinkbroadband latency tracker here:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/76853069c6c36778bd969c2e70073ef30a60cb11

My new contract says I should report this. However the link in the contract is dead. Where should I actually report it? I didn't find it by looking on the Virgin Media website.

Download speeds are typically <10Mb, I'm on 100Mb contract. Latency and dropped packets are through the roof. This is affecting my ability to work from home so I have to leave Virgin if it is not fixed quickly. I had a call with Virgin a week or two ago and was told engineers had been working on it for a month and it would be fixed the next day. Obviously it isn't. The service status says all is good but via my street's WhatsApp group I know most people on my street with Virgin have similar issues.

I am a very disappointed customer and am about to leave.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
cjw296
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to report and/or fix regular low bandwidth and high latency?

If you can leave, I would strongly suggest it. When it works, VirginMedia is fine, but their customer service is absolutely shocking.

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi Epimetheus,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're having. 

I have taken a look on our side and I can see there is a congestion fault reported in the area. 

The fault reference number is: F007997498. The estimated fix time is: 22 JUN 2020 13:15.

^Martin

0 Kudos
Jelly88
Joining in
Message 4 of 27
Flag for a moderator

This is the reference number I have been given for my complete loss of service. No internet since Saturday morning. How do we have the same reference number F007997498??

0 Kudos
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 27
Flag for a moderator

The reference is for an area outage, this is estimated to be fixed on the 28th. Please let us know if you are still having issues after this date. ^Chris 

0 Kudos
Jelly88
Joining in
Message 6 of 27
Flag for a moderator

£8 a day compensation is a joke when Virgin are preventing people from working from home and earning money. Joining VM was a huge mistake, I haven’t even received my first bill yet and I’ve had nothing but problems since day one. Shocking 

0 Kudos
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jelly88, we cannot guarantee a fault free service and do aim to get faults resolved as soon as we can ^Chris 

0 Kudos
user505
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 27
Flag for a moderator

I have exactly the same problem.

Seriously considering migrating away from Virgin now to Sky.

An outage of 6 months minimum caused by a broken cable is not acceptable.  I have had terrible broadband for at least 2 years and over the last few weeks, the service has been atrocious. How can I work from home in these circumstances?

They won't send an engineer, have not even acknowledged receipt of my online complaints, continue to be unable to fix the problem, give inaccurate details on their website (no known broadband issues etc...) and not offered me a refund or a better router or ways to improve bandwidth (constant messages of 'low bandwidth').  Also, other people in my area, including my neighbours (!), are not experiencing the level of problems I am.

Eta for resolution is constantly charging- 30th Sept., 2nd Oct, 5th Oct., 30th Oct. ... where will it end?

Customer Services is appalling - the messaging service doesn't work as I keep being promised that someone will respond.  Then when I get the response "I will look into your account" or something similar, they disconnect and I have to start again.  This has even happened with the so-called Customer Relations Team!

How can they possibly justify any of this?

0 Kudos
Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi user505, 

Thanks for posting on our community forums. We do apologise for all the inconvenience caused due to the ongoing issues with your internet services. We fully appreciate that the estimated fix time keeps changing and that we are unable to book a technician to visit due to this fault.

Remotely looking from our end with the details you have provided for your community profile, we can see that there is an ongoing congestion issue.

To resolve this issue we are planning to undertake some upgrades to support the increased demand for our services in your area. When completed, any slow broadband speeds and buffering on TiVo apps you may be experiencing (particularly at peak times) will be resolved.

Our estimated fix is the 30th of October however this can change. We do have a faults reference number F007940768 if you require any updates regarding this fault in the future.

Kind regards Jodi

0 Kudos
user505
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Buffering seems to happen on V6, but not on Tivo box. Why would that be?

Additionally, in order to maintain a Wi-Fi connection throughout the house, I either have to use Powerline adaptors or spend money on a Mesh wireless system.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos