Menu
CarlTSpeak
Community elder
Message 191 of 297
Flag for a moderator

Re: How soon can we upgrade to Gigabit/Gigabit speeds over DOCSIS 3.1? #Gigaworld #ProjectLightning

@louis-m wrote:

I don't think you will ever see VM offer a 300/300 anytime soon. There's simply not a business case for it.

Read about four posts up. We are discussing  DIA on that score. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 192 of 297
Flag for a moderator

Re: How soon can we upgrade to Gigabit/Gigabit speeds over DOCSIS 3.1? #Gigaworld #ProjectLightning

@louis-m wrote:

I don't think you will ever see VM offer a 300/300 anytime soon. There's simply not a business case for it.

In years to come, possibly..... but at the moment to get that, you will need their DIA or another suppliers fibre ethernet circuit at a far higher cost than the residential/semi residential connections on here.

You are correct.

https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/connectivity/internet-access/dedicated-internet-access/ 

I could get away with 100 but as anyone knows when it's business cashflow - rather us than the tax man. £420+ VAT is a decent price anyway - in fact I often think too cheap. 

Survey costs are unknown, will update when I get the feedback which will probably be the first week of April. 

0 Kudos
CarlTSpeak
Community elder
Message 193 of 297
Flag for a moderator

In my case no interest in taking out a contract right now and business broadband is moving too slowly so produced my own solution to my needs.

Given such solutions are what I work with on a regular basis it made sense to use it myself. I perhaps naively thought that I wouldn't have to but it is what it is.

Deployment.png

happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 194 of 297
Flag for a moderator

That looks decent - I did manage to get 2 mobile connections to go together with my FTTC and that gave me about 90 up - This is the other consideration. for me at home I have a personal sim and a business sim - both unlimited and currently in the same phone- but I could separate them and use software -  I know that's not as good as hardware based - but the kit I have is old and whilst I have done FTTC and VM with it - probably can't do mobile. 

at £20 a month each - that's a lot of upload and download and unlimited. 

Cable and FTTC are seriously getting left behind. 

0 Kudos
mpitts
On our wavelength
Message 195 of 297
Flag for a moderator

Might be a daft question, but do Virgin allow you to have multiple connections to a domestic property?

And if so, any additional installation costs? 

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 196 of 297
Flag for a moderator

Yes. My current house had 4 connections at one time but it shows as a main residence and 5 flats on Royal mail etc . They did away with wayleave ages ago. Install costs are usually free if your talking about res 

0 Kudos
mpitts
On our wavelength
Message 197 of 297
Flag for a moderator

And do Virgin offer the option to bond multiple connections? Or is that only possible through third party aggregators?

0 Kudos
CarlTSpeak
Community elder
Message 198 of 297
Flag for a moderator

They certainly do however you need to pay for enterprise-class connections.

This hopefully means you don't end up with outsourced Manilla-based technical 'support'.

The solution I'm using would cost hundreds a month in licensing charges.

CarlTSpeak
Community elder
Message 199 of 297
Flag for a moderator

https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/connectivity/connecting-sites-and-vpn/sdwan/

PS The product VM use isn't especially good - you can do way better, as can they. They are using Versa.

I was using Silver Peak - the best independent solution, running on par with the massive VMWare and Cisco and yet I've seen a few cases where certain large competitors have thrown  in huge discounts because their products are blown away by the smaller, agile, independent guy: Silver Peak.

Our SD-WAN is a good as it gets. It doesn't really on third party cloud networks, it's all your network apart from when you need link into cloud services, you aren't at the mercy of companies that require you to use their network as the hub for your network and insist in people using a management plane hosted by the cloud and hubs for your hubs and spokes owned by them.

Our SD-WAN separates data plane from management plane. My network management is on a VM server, running a lot of VMs, and under my control so full hub and spoke are available, not having to use scope demanding by the platform as you have to use their cloud services.

Our you can implement full control. You can pay us to turn up your SD-WAN / Orchestrator. You can put this whereever and construct accordingly, with a larger machine where you need it connecting the appliances.

Oh and you don't actually miss a thing. Everythig may be virtullised. You need Next Generation firewqlls we've the agility to put traffic through ZScaers or another server - we can build IPSEC and GRE connections to those collections and service chain

End of the day, you plug in a couple of Edge Connects you're bonding everything. I send any traffic not detected and in the group towards our security partners, feed them the data stream and build security back on the feedback. The packets identified and classified within a single packet.

Versa are probably being used with VM much as the static IP equipment was used because the parent company purchased their provider of static IP address equipment so you're with a vendor you may not have heard of but Liberty Global has put money into. They'll carry as on I'm sure will Versa despite their being somewhat below par in the graph. The three players are VMWare, Cisco and a much smaller, agile and technology progressing Silver Peak.

happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 200 of 297
Flag for a moderator

You can get software, some of which I have used to bond connectons but the max I could do was Ethernet and Mobile via a computer. A router might do different with LTE etc. Speedify is one Connectify dispatch is another.

I had some hardware that would do 4 wired connections - that was 10 years ago so I am sure it's better now!
0 Kudos