Menu
Roger_Gooner
Wise owl
Message 31 of 297
Flag for a moderator

Re: How soon can we upgrade to Gigabit/Gigabit speeds over DOCSIS 3.1? #Gigaworld #ProjectLightning

@CarlTSpeakwrote:

G.fast isn't really going to help either - VM are just moving the whole country to 350Mb and job done being faster. Most of the premises passed by G.fast won't be able to get the full 300Mb anyway due to distance from the cabinet.

Is it true that virtually all G.fast installations are being done by attaching pods to existing powered street cabinets? My nearest cabinet is outside the boundary of my estate, diagonally opposite my house which is on the very edge of the other side of the estate, distance about 400 metres. I see no benefit of G.fast if it came to my area.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
CarlTSpeak
Wise owl
Message 32 of 297
Flag for a moderator

Re: How soon can we upgrade to Gigabit/Gigabit speeds over DOCSIS 3.1? #Gigaworld #ProjectLightning

Not quite. All installations are being done by attaching a pod to a PCP that already has an FTTC twin. The trial nodes that were built closer to homes have been decommissioned. 

That feel when your 'best ultrafast Voom fibre broadband' is outpaced by a mobile phone network. - https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1518846322419094255

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Wise owl
Message 33 of 297
Flag for a moderator

My Cat 9 phone can get speeds like yours - if only I happen to be in an LTE-A area which seems to be once a year at best.

--
0 Kudos
CarlTSpeak
Wise owl
Message 34 of 297
Flag for a moderator

Resurrecting in the hope I won't be on the receiving end of a semi-literate rant over my 'attitude' as by posting I'm single-handedly destroying the business case for higher speeds.

Most areas now bond 32 channels down and 4 up. In most areas DOCSIS 1.0 and MP2 are gone and indeed this made space for the extra 8 SC-QAMs.

Going forward the bonding of a 96MHz OFDM carrier and 32 SC-QAMs downstream along with 6 * 6.4MHz SC-QAMs upstream is the target.

The required CPE shouldn't be far away now. Liberty are testing at a gig downstream, 50Mb upstream. That's actually the product they've released in Bochum.

Sadly I don't know any 'chief engineers' but can confirm much of the content in the post dated ‎28-02-2018 07:27 is nonsense.

The Superhub 3 cannot be upgraded to support DOCSIS 3.1.

Most of the ex-Euro Bell stuff had to be upgraded for 5Mb upload to be offered on it, it was pap, and that network was Telewest, not ntl.

The wiring is irrelevant, it's the bits in between the wires that need upgrading, and that has been ongoing for years.

The core network has an ongoing upgrade programme, release of 3.1 is not delayed by it.

IPv6 has been on the network ready to go for months and is being deployed.

The 3.1 project will be a new product using new equipment in the home and uptake of it will initially be low as it'll probably be expensive.

VM could release 3.1 to some areas literally next week if they wanted to.

Lasky
On our wavelength
Message 35 of 297
Flag for a moderator

It is odd that the Netherlands has standard 1Gbps symmetrical speeds, a company in Kent called "Gigaclear" is offering symmetrical speeds, 50, 100 and 1Gbps...  1Gbps will cost just shy of £80/month.  Google Fibre (from the USA) was planning to come to UK with 1Gbps speeds as well before that was abandoned, why I dont know.

While the speeds we are getting now are good, streaming HD video is a struggle, especially for me.

This webpage from ispreview might interest some people here: VIEW POST

0 Kudos
ToffeeSurprise
Up to speed
Message 36 of 297
Flag for a moderator

Another benefit of DOCSIS 3.1 should be the reduction in latency which is very badly needed for services that use real time traffic such as gaming.

Would really like to see VM press on with this and offer much better upload speeds as well. Clearly they're dragging their heels due to the lack of strong competition from Openreach. However, as FTTP gets a much larger rollout I do think VM are backing the wrong horse with HFC, and even in new areas using RFoG instead of a standard GPON FTTP service, on existing rubbish kit. At some point that copper is going to have to be replaced with fibre, and it makes far more sense to future proof all new infrastructure.

The plan I read to use CGNAT for IPv4 with native IPv6 going forwards is madness, and they should really be doing the dual stack approach until IPv4 is phased out which will take a long time. Or at least provide full IPv4 connectivity as an extra.

I also don't see how a better DOCSIS 3.1 1Gbps symmetrical service would eat into Virgin Media's business packages and leased line products, because the SLA simply isn't there. You don't get the (pretty fantastic) support you get from the Virgin Media Business team on home packages, or a 5 hour SLA.

We have a lot of Altnets up and coming offering FTTP symmetrical solutions, so Virgin Media cannot simply rely on the complacency from Openreach. If one appears in my area offering more bandwidth, a symmetrical service, actual dual stack connectivity, and far lower latency (allowing my own CPE instead of buggy awful kit) then it should be obvious which one will win my business.

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Super solver
Message 37 of 297
Flag for a moderator

@CarlTSpeak wrote:

<snip>  IPv6 has been on the network ready to go for months and is being deployed.

Very interesting, I wonder if I turned on the IPv6 client on my Vigor 2860 would I get a v6 address from VM Smiley Wink 

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Wise owl
Message 38 of 297
Flag for a moderator

@ToffeeSurprise wrote:

ould really like to see VM press on with this and offer much better upload speeds as well. Clearly they're dragging their heels due to the lack of strong competition from Openreach. However, as FTTP gets a much larger rollout I do think VM are backing the wrong horse with HFC, and even in new areas using RFoG instead of a standard GPON FTTP service, on existing rubbish kit. At some point that copper is going to have to be replaced with fibre, and it makes far more sense to future proof all new infrastructure.

What copper? VM's coaxial access network does not use copper to carry signals. And even if it did, it does not have to replaced by fibre.

--
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 39 of 297
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

@ToffeeSurprise wrote:

ould really like to see VM press on with this and offer much better upload speeds as well. Clearly they're dragging their heels due to the lack of strong competition from Openreach. However, as FTTP gets a much larger rollout I do think VM are backing the wrong horse with HFC, and even in new areas using RFoG instead of a standard GPON FTTP service, on existing rubbish kit. At some point that copper is going to have to be replaced with fibre, and it makes far more sense to future proof all new infrastructure.

What copper? VM's coaxial access network does not use copper to carry signals. And even if it did, it does not have to replaced by fibre.

i might be getting this totally wrong what do you think the core is inside a standard coax cable? e.g. Image result for inside coax cable

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Wise owl
Message 40 of 297
Flag for a moderator

The core of VM external coax is either aluminium or steel.

--
0 Kudos