Menu
Charbax
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 276
Flag for a moderator

How soon can we upgrade to Gigabit/Gigabit speeds over DOCSIS 3.1? #Gigaworld #ProjectLightning

Is there any news on the availability of faster download and upload speeds especially? We're stuck with 300mbit/s download speed and only 20mbit/s upload speed for now?

I did a few search queries to see if there is any news, are they soon going to let us upgrade to DOCSIS 3.1 for some faster upload and download bandwidth to the home?

We can't really get to true cloud, true 2-way 4K video-conferencing, true high-res VR/AR communications, low lag cloud gaming/ high performance cloud processing, so many other potential things that could get enabled for us once upload speed is significantly increased.

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/video/project-lightning-gigaworld-virgin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7Euq-I_ZzE

http://www.euronews.com/2017/09/18/superfast-broadband-speeds-for-a-brave-new-gigaworld

https://www.libertyglobal.com/pdf/publications/ADL-Report-Unlocking-GigaWorld-Innovation.pdf

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/virgin-media-tony-hanway-project-lightning-broadband

Are BT's OpenReach or Vodaphone's Gigabit deployments yet reaching London homes with Gigabit symmetrical speeds yet?

jhuk
Super solver
Message 2 of 276
Flag for a moderator

Re: How soon can we upgrade to Gigabit/Gigabit speeds over DOCSIS 3.1? #Gigaworld #ProjectLightning

VM have Vivid  350/20 in many areas (I have been on it ages), however BT just announced 330Mb/s for some areas with 48Mb/s upload < Think that is correct for upload but not 100%.

0 Kudos
Charbax
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 276
Flag for a moderator

Re: How soon can we upgrade to Gigabit/Gigabit speeds over DOCSIS 3.1? #Gigaworld #ProjectLightning

Ah yes I checked and I am also on 350/20 even though I booked 300/20. But it's really a faster upload that I would like. I think even with our current Hub3 DOCSIS 3.0 modems (correct?) we should be able to get at least double if not something like 60mbit/s upload speed, no? Current DOCSIS 3.0 Hub3 hardware should also be able to support up to something like 500mbit/s download speed?

But then as I expect they should let us swap our modems to a new Hub4 with DOCSIS 3.1 support that should I guess potentially support up to 1gbit download speed and 1gbit upload speed over the same coaxial cable internet network? They just need to upgrade the Hubs in the neighborhoods to support DOCSIS 3.1 and upgrade a bit of their Fiber backbone network and stuff, correct? As I see articles dating from 2016 it seems Liberty Global said they would be working on doing all that #Gigaworld upgrading during 2017 and that by the end of 2017 they would activate the DOCSIS 3.1 upgrade once the new Hub4 gateway/modem/router is ready for more and more of the customers to be able to upgrade to?

I don't mind paying a bit more per month if that's required to be able to upgrade in early 2018 to a Hub4 and get a Gigabit/s download and Gigabit/s upload speed.

It'd be sad though if we have to wait until the end of 2018 or until 2019 for the Gigaworld upgrade to happen on London Virgin Media? Anyone got any info when we can expect for the speed upgrade?

0 Kudos
Charbax
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 276
Flag for a moderator

Today they have:

50/3 £27/month
100/6 £32/month
200/12 £37/month
350/20 £42/month

Perhaps Virgin Media should upgrade the speeds and provide 4 new faster packages up to 1000/1000:

Hub3 OK:
50/5
 £25/month
100/10 £30/month
200/20 £35/month
400/40 £40/month
500/50 £45/month (you might actually get up to 60mbit/s upload speed)
Hub4 required:
500/500 £50/month
750/750 £55/month
1000/1000 £60/month

To simplify offerings they can remove the 400/40 and 750/750 so just these:

Hub3 OK:
50/5
 £25/month
100/10 £30/month
200/20 £35/month
500/60 £45/month
Hub4 required:
500/500 £50/month
1000/1000 £60/month

+£5/month to not signup/extend yourself on a 12+ months contract. Thus if you want to upgrade your Virgin Media from Hub3 to Hub4 but you don't want to extend your contract by another 12 months minimum then maybe pay about £5 more per month.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 276
Flag for a moderator

To have a what you posted would take a years of work, massive upgrading of the network almost replacing all the back end hardware etc.. running into billions, you could get a 1gbps downlink / 1gbps upload (up To) but would need to use virginmedia business and pay a hell of a lot for it hundreds per month since would be a dedicated line so would expect not much change from £1000 per month
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 276
Flag for a moderator

and what would you use 1000/1000 for?

you could need to upgrade more then just the connection to the hub. If the CMTS has 10,000 homes connected at 1000/1000 what wtould you need the speed to and from that CMTS to be.

0 Kudos
Wolfclaw
Up to speed
Message 7 of 276
Flag for a moderator

How about they just concentrate on providing what we are currently paying for rather than oversubscribe, tell lies, fob of users and massage the actual figures to keep Ofcom happy?

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 276
Flag for a moderator

oversubscribing is the way you get the low costs you do. If you do not like contention you need to use lease lines that offer 1:1 contention. You'll love the idea until you see the cost. that is what you should be paying if you want a guaranteed speed

0 Kudos
Charbax
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 276
Flag for a moderator

I'm pretty sure all the #Gigaworld upgrades Liberty Global is doing to their global network to accomodate new Hub4 with DOCSIS 3.1 are not meant to cost 100x more for a home user. It's using the same oversubscribing ratios per CMTS hub as previously. I believe from CMTS to their Fiber backbones it's just a question of them upgrading their Fiber optic nodes and technology, Fiber can transport huge amounts of data when upgraded to the most modern systems, plenty enough even if many upgrade to a 1000/1000 in a neighbordhood I believe. Not everybody will know what to do with all that bandwidth right from the start. There are plenty of Gigabit use cases that will eventually develop. And if you only get something like 236mbit/s upload speed during peak hours, even though you're paying supposedly for 1000/1000, it probably won't be an issue for most people.

0 Kudos
Charbax
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 276
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax wrote:
and what would you use 1000/1000 for?

Just a few use cases that I can come up with right now and that I believe everybody can find useful today already:

- Use cloud storage as local storage. For it to not take 3 months of uploading at 20mbit/s to backup a hard drive to the cloud. This enables finally the reality of thin clients, this enables proper usage of Chromebooks, Chromeboxes that do not need to have local storage and local processing. You get to store everything on the cloud and do processing on your files (such as high end video rendering) on the cloud. Also any large file you click on from the cloud you can playback and use as if it was stored locally.

- Connect a home NAS as your home cloud storage to the cloud. Synchronize a NAS in your home with all your personal files with a second NAS in another physical location to have perfect reliable backup of all your personal data. This enables you to have 10x cheaper cloud storage than the current pricing at Amazon Drive, Google Drive, Microsoft Drive and the like. This becomes the only reliable way that you can cloud sync backup upwards several terrabytes of your personal data. It's more and more common for people to have several terrabytes of personal data files especially for those that record 4K videos of friends and family.

- Stay connected with your family in 4K video conferencing sessions on your 4K TV or 4K projector using a 4K webcam. The 20mbit/s upload speed is not quite enough to have proper 2-way 4K video conferencing at the moment. Having something like 100mbit/s upload speed is preferable for a stable 4K video-conferencing bandwidth. Once regular users are introduced to the amazingness of 4K video-conferencing, from just a 4K webcam to be positioned on any cheap sub-£400 4K TV, it becomes totally revolutionary it feels like you are in the same room as your friends and family, it's totally different from just doing phone calls or pixelated skype calls or whatsapp, the 4K video conferencing becomes something families will do daily to stay in proper contact with eachother, it's like you step into the same room as the other person, it's what Presidents have used over the past decade and now it must become available for the average user thanks to affordable 1000/1000 Gigabit Internet.

-  Become a proper 4K60 broadcaster. Modern affordable 4K cameras record at least a 150mbit/s footage, some upwards 400mbit/s and even above when doing the new proper 10bit HDR formats such as HLG at 4K 60 frames per second. People record 4K video now even on their phones, this year the top range 4K 60p cameras will be affordable for everyone. It's important for people to be able to upload that 4K 60 footage at faster than real-time that it took to film it. If it takes 8 to 20 times slower to upload than it took to film the footage, it becomes a very slow procedure and makes 4K as a broadcast format not quite usable for most people.

- Proper VR/AR communications needs to real-time stream 4K video or above 4K in real-time 2-ways so you get to see above 4K content and stream it back out also.

Without a Gigabit 1000/1000 in every home, then use cases like these cannot even begin to be developed. Make the fast network to every home available, and the use cases will get developed.