cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I know if I’ve got FTTP

scottg1123
Tuning in

Hi everyone,

my street got virgin installed 2 years ago, I just had BT at the door trying to get me to move to them saying that in the next 2 years Virgin is being deactivated because they use co axial cable to the house and under new government legislation, all virgins cabling is being taken out. How do I know if I’ve got FTTP? Surely with my house being a new install it’s FTTP. Where the virgin cable enters my house, it’s powered by a plug with a green light on it, then that cable goes to the modem. 

9 REPLIES 9

Client62
Legend

Claims by here today, gone tomorrow, door to door sales teams are seldom to be trusted.

VM are in the process of replacing the coax with FTTP / RFoG as a stepping stone to offering XGS-PON i.e. high speed fibre.

I suspect you are like us a VM FTTP / RFoG area with an OMNI box containing an ONT plus a PSU Plug to power the ONT.

Client62_1-1676127291147.pngClient62_0-1676127128217.png

Yes that’s the same plug I have inside where virgin enters my house. So you reckon I have FTTP then? 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@scottg1123 wrote:

Yes that’s the same plug I have inside where virgin enters my house. So you reckon I have FTTP then? 

Yes you have.  However VM still use co-ax inside the house for connections.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

It seems as if the BT guy will lie through his teeth to earn his commission. Even if you have coax to your house you will be perfectly fine.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

It seems as if the BT guy will lie through his teeth to earn his commission. Even if you have coax to your house you will be perfectly fine.

Yes, VM confirmed (again) in a recent presentation that HFC will be powered the next 15+ years (at least). Some people believe that HFC will be shut down in 2028.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Client62 wrote:

Client62_1-1676127291147.png

So anyone with a one of them blue boxes will never see upstream utilisation problems?

---------------------------------------------------------------

All residential broadband is shared regardless of technology. Fibre from multiple premises gets aggregated upstream, same for coax and phone wires, so contention is possible.

--

@gitty wrote:

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

Yes, VM confirmed (again) in a recent presentation that HFC will be powered the next 15+ years (at least). Some people believe that HFC will be shut down in 2028.

Yes, some people think that just because VM plans to have its 16.2m premises passed by fibre by 2028 does not mean that VM will employ an army of people to also migrate everything to fibre by that date. You only have to think about it for a few seconds to realise that this would be an impossibility. What will happen is that as customers get migrated to fibre the redundant coax will be removed (which alone will improve the HFC network).

--

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@scottg1123 wrote:

Hi everyone,

my street got virgin installed 2 years ago, I just had BT at the door trying to get me to move to them saying that in the next 2 years Virgin is being deactivated because they use co axial cable to the house and under new government legislation, all virgins cabling is being taken out. How do I know if I’ve got FTTP? Surely with my house being a new install it’s FTTP. Where the virgin cable enters my house, it’s powered by a plug with a green light on it, then that cable goes to the modem. 

Its is just sales miss-information to try & get you to switch. Standard phone lines are being replaced as the PSTN infrastructure that currently drives them is being shut down. Coaxial connections actually don't need to be shut down. They have nothing to do with the phone infrastructure & indeed are capable of download speeds of 10x what is available from copper phone lines anyway. VM are replacing them to improve the upload speeds, which is an anomaly of the DOCSIS radio system rather than the cable itself.

I had the same thing a while ago from a Hey! Broadband salesman, who also was insisting that my Virgin TV services would work on any other Broadband providers connection. I asked him how the box would work without the coaxial cable they were supposedly taking out as it was a broadcast receiving box & not an internet box. He couldn't answer that one.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks