cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can so much be so wrong?

DamnFrusttrated
Joining in

I'm at a loss at how much can be so wrong with a website for a technology company. From trying to get on to the site in the first place (about a dozen attempts), to actually being able to contact a real live person through a Live Chat.

No button for it. Even Curry's have that for goodness sake.

Anyway, the problem that I'm having is what seems to be bothering everyone else. Internet speed.

My package is the M200 deal, yet I seem to be paying a contract for the M007 package.

I'm currently getting a lowly and absolutely awful 28.30 download speed and i'm wondering if it's been that way a while.

I've been through the ol' Solve my issue nonsense, only to be told there's no issue with the PC link. Butu that's not the case, I'm almost the full 200Gig down on what I should be and streaming, downloading or watching streams is near on impossible.

Why the hell can't VM just sort their sh*t out and give us the customer service we deserve.

15 REPLIES 15

DamnFrusttrated
Joining in
Oh and I don't care about stupid damn badges. I want the internet I pay for or I'm going elsewhere.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@DamnFrusttrated wrote:

My package is the M200 deal, yet I seem to be paying a contract for the M007 package.

I'm currently getting a lowly and absolutely awful 28.30 download speed and i'm wondering if it's been that way a while.

Can you explain what you mean by this? I'm not familiar with an M007 package.

As for your speed - are you testing this over an Ethernet cabled connection or over wireless? Speeds are only guaranteed over Ethernet.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Regarding M007 they were being sarcastic. 

The M007 is the download speed that I've just had to endure.

I am running ethernet through an adaptor (I've forgotton the name of them).

I've been reminded that I'm using a powerline adapter

What speeds do you get with a laptop or PC wired directly to the hub?

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

To understand the performance loss try the link below it attempts 2 speed tests.

1. from the public internet to the Hub   ( this should reflect your subscription rate )

2. from the public internet to the device ( this varies depending on the PC/Mobile & how it is connected )

https://samknows.com/realspeed/

Do post the results to the analysis.

@DamnFrusttrated wrote:

1) VM customer service is indeed dreadful there's nothing we can do to change that.  However, there's a lot of experience in this forum that can help if you'll bear with the questions.

2) Powerline adaptors are notorious for offering a massive range in real world performance, from "exactly what the customer hoped for" through to "Kcufing useless tabdars pile of tish, doesn't do a loobyd thing!"  This on its own might be the entirety of you problem, part of the problem, or none of the problem.

3) Your speed problem can be solved, and whilst there's lots of moans in this forum that's because it's a help forum nobody comes here to say what a fab connection they have. 

4) When it's working as intended, a VM connection delivers fast and acceptably reliable broadband.  When things go wrong there's a methodical series of steps that Roger_Gooner is starting you off on, where he's trying to eliminate possible causes, and then work from that to see at what point things go wrong.  When we've identified the cause, we can suggest options to improve things, those options will vary depending on where the problem sits.  Sometimes the problem is yours to fix (eg by buying your own wifi mesh system or renting VM's pods), sometimes it's a noise or power problem on the broadband connection that's VM's to fix, and sometimes it requires more kit that's available free from VM to customers on certain contracts.

5) Sometimes the fault finding can take a while and involve dabbling in things you might feel are too techy for you.  Don't be put off, the contributors here will walk you through - if you don't understand then say so, and they'll explain.

@DamnFrusttrated wrote:

It's not unknown for these to slow down to a crawl over time. You could do worse than restarting them as a first course of action.

This is a bad time of year for them, too. Christmas lights can emit RF interference that causes big issues with powerline. 

How's your WiFi? Try it out nice and close to the VM hub.