Menu
davedavedave93
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Horrendous Ping Spikes

Hi there,

I am getting horrendous ping spikes. I was wondering if anybody else is experiencing these problems in the Edinburgh area? It makes playing games online unplayable. This is the first time i have experience such an issue with Virgin Media.

Could somebody link me to where a can raise a support request?

Kind Regards,

Dave

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Horrendous Ping Spikes

Where are you seeing and measuring these ping spikes?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
davedavedave93
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying.

I am using the following -  https://www.netmeter.co.uk/ping-test/

The connection is very intermittent sometimes hitting 2500ms and jitter of 900ms and then sometimes being alot more acceptable 17ms median and jitter of 6ms. This is very observable when gaming with lots of stuttering and freezing. Very unplayable. I am surprised its so bad to be honest. I've tried it this morning and again I am experiencing exactly the same thing.

Is there a better way of measuring ping pikes? If you could recommend that would be great.

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hey there davedavedave93,

Welcome to our Community Forum and thanks for posting. I've had a peek at your network details and cannot see any issues or errors. Can I ask whether the ping issue occurs when you're just gaming? What about other games on other servers? Please give us more details as I cannot find any errors with the details I can see.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
davedavedave93
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunately I am experiencing this issue again. Large intermittent ping spikes on the wireless connected devices. What could the possible cause of this be? Is there something I could alter in the router settings to improve this?

Many thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Do you get the same using a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Maybe your being DoS or your DoS your connection with a upload or download hitting your upto speed limit.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
davedavedave93
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alessandro,

Thanks for the reply.

Is there way of working out if I am being DoS or I have accidentally DoS my own connection?

Cheers,

Dave 

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Their is no easy way in router mode you can put the hub in modem mode with a PC and see how it goes.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
davedavedave93
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I think I may have just fixed my issue. I used the following cmd in the windows cmd prompt - 

netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=no interface="name of your wireless network here"

Which I found at the following link - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/permanent-fix-for-wifi-ping-...

This seemed to have solved the issue instantly. I was using www.netmeter.co.uk to measure the ping spike issue aswell as pinging google.com.

The person doesnt know why it worked in the link above. Do you have any idea why it solved it?

Cheers,

Dave

0 Kudos