Menu
mike170
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Highly Variable download speed

I have the M100 package. I watch tv through a Roku box and Chromecast. I notice on the WiFi Analytics app that speed near my tv can vary from 13 Mbps to 150 Mbps. Why is this?

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Highly Variable download speed

Wi-Fi speeds vary because the outside influence that affect the Wi-Fi signal change from one minute to the next.

ISP provided Hubs are renowned for their poor Wi-Fi, and at the best of times Wi-Fi is a fickle beast that can be affected by numerous things such as distance from the Hub,  building construction, other electronic devices, neighbouring Wi-Fi, basically all sorts.

VM supply to the Hub, after the Hub it is up to you.

Many on here, myself included advocate the use of a third party Gigabit capable Wi-Fi router or Mesh system.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It also depends on what exactly is being measured and how.  If you're not experiencing problems then ignore what some app tells you.  If you are having problems, describe them and somebody round here will try and assist.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
mike170
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike. I do actually use a router a Nighthawk 7000. The puzzle for me is that nothing changes between my router and my device. Just normal obstacles like walls etc. This would affect general signal strength but why variability. The trouble started with starting a subscription to Britbox which is not available on Roku. I have had to use a Chromecast device. Periodically the signal dropped and the programme was lost, something I haven't had with Roku transmissions. I'm wondering whether the problem could lie in the device I'm using to cast to the Chromecast , a Samsung Tab S5e ie not casting very well

0 Kudos
mike170
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Andruser

0 Kudos