Menu
laura2020
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

High ping, jitter and packet loss - Area 15

Since the start of this week our VM broadband service has got really bad.

I've run some tests using a few tools and it seems the immediate cause is huge variability in ping times (latency) - up to multiple seconds at times. This renders video calls unusable which is a huge issue for working from home.

I've run tests while connected directly to the incoming hub with an ethernet cable, so this is nothing to do with our home wifi. The issue is either in the hub itself or somewhere in the VM network.

Looking at some results the longer ping times are clustered which suggests congestion in the VM network. Is anyone else seeing problems here? We're in area 15.

I've run tests against speed.cloudflare.com, packetlosstest.com (see graphic below), and `ping` via the Windows command line:

Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=58ms TTL=117
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=182ms TTL=117
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=117 Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
Minimum = 22ms, Maximum = 182ms, Average = 87ms

Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=85ms TTL=117
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=1434ms TTL=117
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=117
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=117
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Minimum = 16ms, Maximum = 1434ms, Average = 387ms

2020-10 packetlosstest.png

0 Kudos
laura2020
Tuning in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: High ping, jitter and packet loss - Area 15

Well good news - a reboot of the VM hub in our home seems to have improved things and we're now seeing latency/jitter of 20ms/4ms which is much better!

So hopefully just a one-off issue with our very old hub and not an issue in the network.

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Laura2020,

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your broadband looked into, I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you and for any inconvenience this issue may have caused.

I am however glad to hear a reboot resolved the issue, however just for future reference if it does happen again, I'll go over some things for you 🙂

So the first thing we would need to see if its a problem with a wired connection is to see how your speed is performing on a Ethernet connected PC. You can do a speed test here, then you can post the results as a screenshot.

If you are having WIFI trouble be would usually ask you to use the Connect App to scan for any dead spots in your home, if the app detects any issues it may suggest installing boosters in your home to spread the WIFI more evenly.

I love the fact you have used a graph to show the latency, we have a much easier one to read here which will help us decipher the information better. You can post the link of your graph here so we can see it. 

For now I think that's the basics covered, but we can help in many more ways if you need it 🙂

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
laura2020
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Megan.

We are still seeing issues with the new hub, but they come and go. Sometimes it's fine and sometimes there is a lot of packet loss, high (& variable) latency, and download speeds dropping dramatically. I will try to run a test using the tool you recommended, and using ethernet to the hub directly.

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks @laura2020

Please do keep us posted. 

Stay safe

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos