Menu
cchecketts
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

High latency

I pay for 500mb/s but rarely get that, basic work video calls regularly struggle when nothing else is connected but a few devices like ring doorbell or indoor security cam.

ran diagnostics by logging into the router and every single device says poor signal strength and to move closer to router - even though some are about 2 feet away.

engaged Virginmedia on Twitter who advised using thinkbroadband to do a line quality check. Couple of graphs are attached. Have gone back for to the Twitter account for help but have just been continually blanked for days now even though I see them responding to other queries,

Any advice at all from anyone? Tried boosters etc but a number of the connected devices are in the same room as the router and still getting “poor signal strength”.

ACD45719-9E11-4819-9793-39031FA1D509.jpeg

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: High latency

Can you post a link to the graph so that we can see all of it ? 

There's a "Share" button on the page with the graph, you can share a specific date or a live version, the live will be better. 

0 Kudos
cchecketts
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
cchecketts
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Weird thing is no one was even around until midday on Saturday and still latency shot up,

during the weekdays it’s horrendous. We do anything particularly demanding, no massive downloads or anything. For the most part just trying to work remotely on Microsoft teams.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@cchecketts wrote:

Weird thing is no one was even around until midday on Saturday and still latency shot up,

during the weekdays it’s horrendous. We do anything particularly demanding, no massive downloads or anything. For the most part just trying to work remotely on Microsoft teams.

Yes, it's you and all the million others working at home on Teams etc that are causing the system overload.  Virgin Media is a residential service primarily for downloading and was never designed for that sort of use. It's actually the upstream that is causing the hits.

0 Kudos
cchecketts
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Are we saying then that you can’t have a couple of conference calls concurrently or have a working sky mini box during the day at all?

I really didn’t think I was being unrealistic but if that is the case what value am I getting in paying for 500mb download speeds, I might as well just have the lowest package?

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Are we saying then that you can’t have a couple of conference calls concurrently or have a working sky mini box during the day at all?

No, I didn't say that - you did.

What I have said is that the network is being used in ways that it was not designed to be used. If you look at the service you signed up to, you will see that it is configured for a much lower upstream speed than the downstream speed.  This is because the predominant use was for downloading video and games. With many users now using two-way video, that balance has changed.

Like all of us, you can use the network in the way you want. But again like all of us, you can either put up with what you get or find another network that better serves your needs.

0 Kudos
Zoie_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi there cchecketts,

Thanks for your post, I have located your account and can see you are affected by an congestion outage the fix date is the 28th of Feb and the reference for this is F008705042

Zoie

0 Kudos
cchecketts
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Also my router says every WiFi device has “poor signal strength” and to move it closer to the router. Some are 2 feet away totally unobstructed. Is that expected?

0 Kudos
cchecketts
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

End of the day I just want a broadband that lets me watch sky on a mini box and have a work call. I feel that’s not much to expect for £65/month.

the fact the router tells me that an unobstructed device 2ft away has “poor signal strength” and I need to move it closer feels like an issue to me or can that just be from everyone’s combined usage?

0 Kudos