Menu
Kips
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

High Utilisation?

How do you find out if you are in a high utilisation area? Im guessing its generally because more people are at home so the resources need to be shared a bit more? usually i can fix it for a bit by rebooting the modem, recently purchased a new £300 mesh wifi routers which has improved the wifi all through the house and into the garden, but still seeing 30-50mb when usually its 200+mb. I tired to see if i can just upgrade to 500mb or 1Gb (i had an pop ad that said its in my area) but it just errors when i go to the upgrades section of the website? i dont really want to waste time and clog up the phone line. 

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: High Utilisation?

1) Don't "upgrade" to resolve a connection problem, you're rewarding VM's ineptitude, and paying more for the privilege!

2) To ascertain whether you've gor an over-subscription problem, the best tool is to mosey over to Thinkbroadband.com create an account, and then set up a Broadband Quality Monitor.  Let that run for 24-48 hours, and it'll show what's happening with your connection.  We can help your read the chart - but post a link, not an image.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

What speeds do you get wired direct to the hub?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Kips
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just tested (Hub in modem mode router Asus Zen wifi ) now wired = 220mbps and wifi 210mbps - although its still hot out so maybe everyone's in the garden lol just so random ill test it again later - generally happy with the service only had about 4 outages in 20 years. Just think its worth upping to 350/500 as we have 7 people and a lot of devices in the house. It would be good if it actually let me on the website!  I just get 

Oops! Something went wrong.

Sorry, we’re unable to change your package online.

0 Kudos
Kips
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I will try it, but it might be a bit unfair over a friday/saturday as thats when a lot of people will be using it?
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Test it again at a time when you feel utilisation is high 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Kips
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Nothing wrong there at all

0 Kudos
Kips
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

fair enough ill upgrade to 1gbps if they let me
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Kips wrote:
fair enough ill upgrade to 1gbps if they let me

If your hoping for faster speeds by wireless don't.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos