Menu
bradebe3
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

High Utilisation Again

Hello All,

I am unfortunately once again having seriuous issues with my connection, mainly in relations to gaming. (Lag, Ping Spikes, Packet Loss ..etc)

I had a VM tech out a few months ago after suffering with these issues since connection.

The tech informed me I'm in one of a few areas where utilization is above 95%. But was informed that more capacity was being added and the work had been booked in and was to be completed in the next few weeks. 

My connection when gaming (once the works had been completed)  was better, not great, but better, but alas Im once again having the same issues when gaming, they are most prevalant during high peak demand 5-10pm. All the symptoms are the same. I guess they've oversold all the new capacity already....

Could any VM techs here please run a few tests on my line and check utilisation please?

Thanks for reading all this way,

0 Kudos
bradebe3
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: High Utilisation Again

Also forgot to mention when I do have less lag (late at night) If i do anything else on another device (loading an image on insta / watching youtube (even at 480p) causes my game to lag and im unable to see where my bullets are going and getting instakilled around a corner..
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Set up a Broadband Quality Monitor.  That'll tell you whether you're a victim of over-utilisation.  It'll also help if/when the next fix date passes without anything having been done.

Sometimes VM do manage to rejig the local network to balance loads and eliminate over-utilisation.  Sometimes they can't, and in those cases they don't appear to do much at all, other than tell customers there's a fix date, and when that nears they issue another fix date a month down the road.

Longer term there's hope that the upgrades across the VM network to DOCSIS 3.1 will eliminate the majority of over-subscription problems, but the full benefits of that may not be realised across the entire network until 2022.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
bradebe3
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi there, 

Apologies for the late reply.

I have had a bqm set up since the initial issues were ''solved''. I have linked a recent typical day below.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/392ea4c378b2f020c4af664ac290518bc5...

There are the same issues present as last time. Whenever i use the internet i experience huge lag spikes and over the past day or so constant 16% packet loss when in game (valorant, CSGO).

I have included the latest graph showing the packet loss that is now constant.

Thanks for your time.

let me know if you need any other data etc..

Cheers Brad

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Post a live link to your BQM on here please.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the update Bradebe3.

Is this through a wired device or through WiFi?

Let us know, Emily.

0 Kudos