Menu
Brothercoops
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 41
Flag for a moderator

High Ping spikes and lag issues when gaming

So first off I apologise for my poor grammer and if this makes no snese.

But, I'm having a complete nightmare with my VM Broadband. around 5 weeks ago I started getting huge lag whenever I played on my PC or PS5, getting to the point that I physically can't game online.At times my ping test is showing spikes over 3000ms. 

now to put in the context  My main focus of gaming Is warzone on my PS5. I run this directly from the HUB 3 using an ethernet cable.

Virgin media have sent two engineers out the past two weeks and both have said they'e tests have shown that all of the levels are too high so they fitted an attena device betweem the cable and the modem to bring levels down. This has done nothing in regards of lag.

The past few days I've been running thinkbroadband test to see whats going on, the graphs below are thre past 2 days.

16th - 17th December

Screenshot_2020-12-18 Share Broadband Quality Monitor thinkbroadband(1).png

17th - 18th December

Screenshot_2020-12-18 Share Broadband Quality Monitor thinkbroadband.png

I'm not a tech wiz by anymeans but do have better than basic skills.

Any help would be great, I'm pulling out what little hair I have left. Virign gave pretty much said that becuase there onsite test shows no issues there's nothing wrong

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Re: High Ping spikes and lag issues when gaming

Your BQM is a typical graph of an area with 'High Latency', there is nothing to do apart from report the problems that you are having. If enough people complain they might do something about it, it is just a matter of waiting or moving to another ISP.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Brothercoops
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 41
Flag for a moderator

The only other provider is BT/Sky with max speeds of 25mb. Is it really usual to have spikes upto 3000ms? it's consitently kicking me out of games.
0 Kudos
Brothercoops
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 41
Flag for a moderator

You can see from my live graph:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/24a116b238297b5872de156e5eefaa6a28...

Everytime I restart router its fine for few hours and then straight back up again. ranging anything upto 3800ms

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 41
Flag for a moderator

I can't say what is causing the problem, and I don't feel convinced that it is over-utilisation - the latency spikes are so consistently 100ms+ whereas over-utilisation normally is a lot more random, and also a restart doesn't cure over-utilisation.

I've flagged your post for staff to advise.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Apologies for the delayed response, Brothercoops,

How has the connection been since your post? I've run a remote diagnostic and everything is showing OK. Is this on a wired connection or wireless?

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
Brothercoops
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,

it’s getting very frustrating and it’s no different at all. Games are completely unplayable at times. There isn’t a game I’ve played where I don’t suffer severe lag. I’m at a complete loss and haven’t received any help from customer service or engineers. I’m just told your connection test is fine there’s no issues m

0 Kudos
Brothercoops
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 41
Flag for a moderator

apologies,

• It’s currently a wired connection. However I’ve tried both and neither are any different 
0 Kudos
Brothercoops
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 41
Flag for a moderator

This is what it looks like pretty much every single day. The packetloss is where I'd turned router off for a while and then turned back on. 2 hours later it goes straight back to how it was before. Having said that tuirning the router off usually does nothing for the spikes. 

Screenshot_2020-12-27 Share Broadband Quality Monitor thinkbroadband.png

0 Kudos
Brothercoops
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Problem continues, with zero soulutions and help from VM. 

326BA1B8-63E0-405A-A50D-F4597FAF9B24.jpeg

0 Kudos