Menu
jrp8588
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

High Ping Slow Speed

Hi, 

Since Tuesday, 12/03/2019, my ping has spiked to 300ms, according to speedtest.net it has been fluctuating between 7ms and 312ms. The download speed has also deteriorated significantly. speedtest.net is showing 2.24mpbs to 167mpbs. We are on the 150mbps package and in all the years with VM I have never had this issue. Speed tests are done via wireless and wired connections. My PC is running via ethernet and all the other laptops and mobiles are wireless. all seeing the same issues. 

I have been on the phone twice yesterday and once today, customer services are getting me to reset the router and test different modes like safe mode on my pc and modem mode on the superhub. while they are on the phone the speedtests show high speed and low ping as it should be, as soon as im done with customer services, 10 minutes later the ping jumps back up and the speed drops. 

me and my parents work from home, the internet is a very important part of our business as you can well imagine. as usual customer services are blaming our equipment and telling me there are no faults on the line but how can every device in my house be all of a sudden having the same problem??? if my ethernet cable is was not good enough for eg then the speed test would not show me varied speeds and pings, it would just be slow with high ping or at least show a constant result, not a fluctuating one!

Please can someone advise/help with resolving this?

thanks

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: High Ping Slow Speed

Maybe you have something downloading or uploading?

You could be DoS or one of your PC/laptop is infected and is DoS.

0 Kudos
jrp8588
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alessandro, 

There is nothing downloading on any of the laptops or PC. The link to test outgoing ports is showing all 65535 ports with a green square which i assume means they are ok.

the BQM doesnt have much info as I only signed up for it today. 

thanks

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Does the high ping happen if only one PC is connected?

0 Kudos
jrp8588
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alessandro,

Yes, if I switch to modem mode it still gives me high ping and low speeds. 

Thanks 

0 Kudos