Menu
damawa42
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

High Latency and Packet Loss / Delayed Packets

Quickly getting sick of trying to figure this out, twitter/text support from Virgin has been utterly useless, repeatedly refusing to discuss the matter. The one time I did get someone vaguely helpful, they said there was an issue in the area, so they couldn't discuss my problem until that was fixed, in case that fixed my problem. It didn't. This issue has been going on for a good six weeks, at least the entire duration of 'lockdown' - I understand there will be contention due to more users being online, but the service needs to remain usable for working from home.

I'm getting awful latency, sometimes in the *multiple seconds*, usually around 100-200ms, making my work from home VMWare Horizon almost unusable. My employer believes this is caused by packet loss (however I believe this is more likely to be delayed packets, rather than outright lost packets). Moving around the remote desktop is very laggy, and every sentence I type has 'stuck' keys causing repeated characters (or repeated deletes)

Occasionally in the middle of the day speed tests get as low as 15mbps, but typically around 100, with a peak late in the evening of 300+ i.e. what it should be.

I'm not too bothered about outright speed, just desperately need decent latency and packet loss.

This is what it looks like every day, and certainly mirrors the experience I 'feel'.

Looking at my router status, my 'SNR (db)' is 32 or 33 for every channel, with power levels -0.7, 6.8, 6, 5.1, 5.3, 4.5, 4.6, 4.3, 4.1, 3.7, 3.7, 3, 2.5, 2, 2.2, 1.9, 1.9, 1.7, 2, 0.9, 0, 0, -0.5, -1.9 for channels 1 to 24 respectively.

Superhub 3.0 is in modem mode only; my desktop PC is connected by ethernet cable, so this is not a wifi issue. One 'support' person even had the cheek to tell me to use 'the app' to change wifi channels because it would 'free up speed'!

Having whinged on twitter, they told me to post here, so that someone would run a test on my line, with a view to sending out an engineer.

So basically, that's what I am begging a forum mod to do - look at this, and please look at it properly. I need this fixing.

What other info can I provide?

0 Kudos
Drollie
Joining in
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: High Latency and Packet Loss / Delayed Packets

I have exactly the same issue which I have just posted about and just like you the service is fine from 2am - 8am (you don't happen to live in a pie eating town in the North West do you?).

0 Kudos
damawa42
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Any chance of a forum moderator looking at this? 99.9% certain I need an engineer visit to check for loose connections in your cabling and/or at your cabinet.

0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Good Afternoon damawa42,

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums!

I've just looked into your postcode and can see we have an outage that has been running from April 10th until May 5th - fix time 15:00

If you're still experiencing issues beyond this date, please come back to us.

You can also keep track of the outage with our Status Service Checker

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
damawa42
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thank you for your reply!!

I have a few questions.

1) Why is this outage taking so long to fix?
2) What exactly is the nature of this outage? Just so I can hold out some hope that it really might actually fix my issue.
3) Why is it not reported on the status checker? ("No known issues" right now)
4) Is this the same as the SNR issue that was 'fixed' on Thursday 21st that your colleagues said they couldn't deal with me until after that was fixed?

Finally - I've been telling you (well, TRYING to tell you, but literally ignored on all but one occasion before you replied here) about this since 31st March. So that's 10 days before you say this 'outage' started.

Is it really likely that this mysterious outage is causing the huge packet loss than is causing my issues? Surely this is more of a loose connection type problem?

Cheers,

Daniel

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Danawa42, there is a fault ticket F007944292 for SNR and the estimated fix time is 05/05. I can see a lot of activity on the ticket and unfortunately it's very technical so I'm unable to advise. Our team will be looking along the network to find a cause and it can be anything. It does mean that we are working on resolving the fault and I apologise for the inconvenience caused by it.  Please be patient with us as we continue to work to fix the fault.

Thanks,

Lisa

damawa42
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lisa/colleagues

Can you copy-paste the info you have available? I'm reasonably technical so like to try to understand what's going on.

Obviously it's quite frustrating to be told I have to yet again until some unspecified problem is fixed... It's great that you're fixing problems... but if it's NOT related to my problem, then how is this any use to me? What if it's just that some kid round the corner has bad wifi?

It would be good if someone could actually try to diagnose my problem in parallel instead of making me wait. It's been a month since I started telling you about this issue...

Daniel

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Daniel,

Unfortunately due to this type of fault, we're unable to raise any tickets on your account as they will be automatically deleted. I appreciate that you've been waiting for us to resolve this but depending on the nature of the fault, it can take us a little more time to resolve it. With regards to the information, I'm afraid we're not allowed to copy and paste details for security and data protection but I can assure you that we are looking into the fault to fix it as soon as we can.

Regards,

Lisa

0 Kudos
damawa42
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Can you please provide an update on the status of the mysterious no-information-available ticket that was supposed to be fixed today?

Is it fixed? If not, why not and what is the new ETA for a fix?

Thanks,

Daniel

0 Kudos
damawa42
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Still seeking a response. Whatever you did on the 5th has had something of an effect:

• Good - latency is down, with my average and maximum latency now reasonably okay (but could be better)
  • Bad - a few percent dropped packets are occurring now; previously there was little evidence of this (red at the top of the BQM graph below). Can you explain why after your 'fix' there drop packet count is now worse?
  • Very bad - every four hours or so the connection is dropping out.Can you explain why your 'fix' is now causing drop outs?
    • 2am Wednesday
    • 3pm Wednesday
    • 1:47am Thursday (today)
    • 6:23am Thursday
    • 10:41am Thursday

See graph:

814f6ec593896cbd8c16a7ce81d512f9c225310a-07-05-2020.png

0 Kudos