Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Have M350 but only getting 100mb?

Hi guys

Please "go easy" with me as this is my first post on the forum.

My M350 connection was working fine when I last checked it a few months ago in fact a couple of time I clocked it at over 400mb

However with all the extra "load" on my connection during the pandemic I noticed it didn't seem to be perfrming very well so I decided to use fast.com to test it.

Imagine my surprise when it seemed I was now only getting around 1000mb?

The only other thing that has changed is that I have upgraded the PC I'm testing the speed on to Windows 10 instead of 7 so maybe this is affecting the results.

I'm using the same ethernet cable I did the previous speed test with which is "directly" connected to my Hub without any switces or homeplugs inbetween.

I've also checked the drivers for my onboard gigabit ethernet adapter (i1210) are up to date by downloading them from the intel site but still no luck?

Any suggestions for a solution to this problem would be most gratefully received.

Thanks

Gary

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 2 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Re: Have M350 but only getting 100mb?

When was the last time you rebooted the router?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 29
Flag for a moderator

This morning

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 4 of 29
Flag for a moderator

How are you connecting Wi-Fi or ethernet cable ?

It can be difficult diagnosing problems without some basic information.

Have you checked the 'Check Service Status' at the top of the page ?

If nothing is showing try phoning 0800 561 0061, this will tell you of more local issues that may be affecting the area. Be aware that it isn't a manned line.

Go round all the accessible co-ax connections and ensure that they are finger tight.

If everything above is OK we need do some troubleshooting; to start with …

Can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you can post the link straight away.

Post a link to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

Then

Can you please

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter. 

When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’.

Copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log tabs onto here, if you get a yellow warning click the Post button again.

A Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply

Here's the info you asked for

Downstream01.pngDownstream02.pngUpstream01.pngConfiguration.pngVirgin_Log.pngStatus.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 6 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Your Hub stats are looking OK.

Can you post the link to your Live BQM please.

Then

Can you carry out a couple of speed tests at speedtest.net using a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected.

Ensure that the Network Interface Card (NIC) drivers are up to date.

Then post the links to the results on here.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 29
Flag for a moderator

No problems MIke

Thanks again for you help in trying to help me to resolve this issue.

I think this is what you're after?

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/fc2515b5b227d57443e69a4befe7133cdb...

Regards

Gary

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 8 of 29
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Your BQM looks healthyish (A spike in packet loss at one point of the chart).

Could you check what ethernet speed your PC is actually connected at to the HUB?

'Speed' should be 1Gbps:

100Mb speed sounds like the NIC\Cable\HUB is limiting the bandwidth over ethernet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi Carl

I have checked the properties of the Gigabit ethernet port which comes directly from my Gigabyte motherboard and it does appear to be limiting it to 100mbps instead of allowing up to 1000mbps? (see first two pics)

I've also eliminated the possibility of an issue with the cable as when I plug it directly into the port on my fairly old laptop I'm able to get 180mbs download speed (see last three pics)

I definitely know that the ethernet port on the gigabyte motherboard is capable of 1000mbps as I did a number of tests when I first upgraded to M350 a year or so ago and was acheiving that speed and more but that was when I was using Windows 7 and before I reformatted and installed windows 10 on it?

What I'm struggling to understand is I've updated to the latest driver directly from the intel website and it still doesn'e seem to want to go any faster than 100mbps, so could it be some setting within windows 10 itself?

LMK what you think?

Thanks

Gary

Ethernet_01.pngEthernet_02.pngLaptop_01.jpgLaptop_02.jpgLaptop_03.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Once your images clear I will try and have a look but you were running 1Gb/s before.

0 Kudos