Menu
Kazekou
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hardwire Speed is 1/10 what I am meant to be paying for. Requesting a refund

I have been patient for months now. But I am getting speeds of 80mbps on a 1gig line.

I specifically ordered the speed advertised for work. I need it as my job requires me to handle large amounts of data on short notice.

I am currently losing an entire days work every time I need to upload or download a new build.

And I find it insulting that Virgin has created an infinite loop in the complaints line that offers no response for this problem (slow ethernet speeds). Which implies that Virgin knows it's a problem and is trying to avoid answering question on the matter.

The only way this is happening consistently after months is if I am being throttled. And if this is the case, just say so and give me my money back.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hardwire Speed is 1/10 what I am meant to be paying for. Requesting a refund

Can you test speeds directly like this. Connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a known good and working Cat5e/6 (or better) ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (see VM website for “How To”). Test at speedtest.net (not using their App!) to your nearest VM server - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot the device into windows safe+networking mode and try again.

That should accurately report what speeds are being sent to the Hub on your connection.

There are many posts on here where unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, bad cables, corrupted browsers or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Kazekou
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hardwire Speed is 1/10 what I am meant to be paying for. Requesting a refund

I have done all of this and I can't get above 80mbps

0 Kudos
cje85
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

What do you get at https://samknows.com/realspeed/? This will test the speed directly to your Hub, ruling out any problems with Ethernet cables, software, network cards etc. 

0 Kudos
kriptikchicken
Dialled in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

This may seem obvious but as "jbrennand" infers, it is very likely that it is a hardware issue at your end. The reason I say this is that I got a 350M line, however with my ancient Sony Vaio, the best I could get was 120-130Mbs. (via wifi) Ethernet got about 230Mbs.

However when I moved to a fairly new Dell Inspiron, (with no Ethernet port so via wifi) I have seen it reach speeds of 380Mbs, a substantial difference. No other changes.

Oh and I am guessing you are not using a VPN, because that will have a dramatic impact on speed.

0 Kudos