Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Half speed broadband

I have had VM BB for years with few major problems. All the following is for ethernet CAT6 connection and SH4

By and large it has delivered the claimed speed + 10% eg VIVID200 220 UP 20 down. This was ok until the advent of covid when downspeed collapsed to 30-80. TS suggested a hub reset which sort of worked  as down speed improved to 140. And there it stuck 24/24 no matter what I did.

Contract renewal came around so I UG to Vivid350. This resulted in a small down speed improvement to 160-170 while UP improved to 36. No errors in the logs but the ping is poor at 14-20.. As VM deliver this speed 24/24 with little variation I can only conclude that their clam not to cap speeds is untrue. Few people are at work or doing college tasks in the wee small hours of Sunday for example.

When will service return to normal?

As it stands how will VM BB deliver to O2 customers?

not a happy bunny

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Half speed broadband

Can you test speeds again this way....

Use a Cat5e or better (Cat6e is best) ethernet cable connected to a Gb enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers - AND the Hub in modem mode. Test at speedtest.net to your nearest VM server - try 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot the device into safe+networking mode to disable all software on the device that might be limiting your speeds, and try again.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Half speed broadband

@Harper2 wrote:

As it stands how will VM BB deliver to O2 customers?

There's nothing to stop Virgin/O2 continuing to feed existing O2 customers over the Openreach network.

But it would make sense to tempt them into a cable connection for those who are in a cabled area.  Since it's been suggested that the combined company may be put up for sale after three years, they would want to have as many cabled customers as possible by then.

0 Kudos