Menu
markmcg
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

HUB 4 Port Query

Ok, I have just received a HUB4, installed and activated, no problems.  The advertised speed is ~1100mps, the most I get is 950mps.

I know it is fast!!! but still 150mbs (about 15%) less than advertised.  So I thought ok, I need a new NW card...so bought and installed a 2.5Gbps PCI-E card also bought a CAT 7 cable and linked directly to HUB4...still no faster 😞

Question is...are the ports on the HUB4 ONLY 1Gbps?

So you will never reach the advertised speeds!

Thoughts on HUB 4 ports please? 🙂

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: HUB 4 Port Query

You can get a whopping 950mb to each device or a total of over 1100mb combined

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@markmcg wrote:

snip....

Question is...are the ports on the HUB4 ONLY 1Gbps?

.... snip

Yes they are!

0 Kudos
markmcg
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Ok, many thanks, my analysis deduced the same..SO the questions is, why do Virgin media advertise the speed of 1100mbs, when it can never be achieved?? 😐

Even if 950mbs is advertised, it is still fast...though I suppose you cannot call it Giga1? 🙂

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I disagree, 1100 is a capacity, I can get 600mb on my PC and 600 on another PC at the same time. Virgin are delivering the speed to the hub and I can utilise it

0 Kudos
markmcg
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hhmm..suppose interpretation.  However, if you look for example at M350, this is not the combined speeds of all the ports (so you would be happy with 100, 100 & 150?  don't think so) but the single speed expected to be delivered (same as any other provider claim). This speed cannot physically be delivered out of the router because the ports need to be 2.5Gbs or higher NOT the 1Gbs.  You can deliver any speed to the router, but the output is limited to the actual spec of the port.

Probably needs someone from VM to clarify 🙂

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Have a look here, it's explained on the sales page

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/gig1-gigabit-broadband?buspart=uk_ps_acq_cable_GOOGLE_Cab...

Gig1 Fibre available on 18 month minimum term contract; price fixed for 24 months.  Prices from £62.  Fixed price excludes additional add-ons.  Subject to survey, network capacity and credit check.
UK’s Fastest Major Broadband Provider; based on Gig1 Fibre avg speed 1.140Mbps vs avg speeds of major UK ISPs.  To verify see virginmedia.com/Gig1Compare. Correct at date of publication.
Advertised speeds in excess of 1Gbps are delivered to the home. To utilise the full speed capability multiple device connections operating at optimum speed and capacity are required. Device limitations apply. External factors may impact speed.

0 Kudos
markmcg
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Had a look, yep you're correct on the sales wording. 😊  However, my contract says different (nowhere over multiple devices to achieve the speed, only a stated download speed of between 1,118-1,145Mbps).  It is 'careful' marketing by VM as 1 connected device will never reach the claimed speed due to port limitations (unless you can link ports (doubtful)? or the new HUB 5 has faster ones?) 😁??

I am still happy with the speed, just a bit miffed I bought a 2.5Gbps NW card to test speed😉

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I hope one day they can update the hub to allow port bonding so two ports can be used to deliver over 1gig in modem mode

0 Kudos
dl12345
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

0 Kudos