Menu
seanjmcdonald93
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

HUB 4.0 Very slow

Hi there,

i have upgraded recently from 350mbs to 1gbs and i am currently sitting at speed test of 150-190mbs where as before i would get over this with my old hub. my highest i got was 490mbs with my old hub while i was waiting for the HUB 4.0. as soon as i changed the hub and sent the old one back i starting getting slower speeds. 

i hope someone can help as i have been with virgin for nearly 10 years and dont have bad experiences as such, but this gets annoying when trying to download something and my actual rate of download turns out to be 15mbs when before i had the hub it would be at least 40mbs lol

Many thanks 

Sean

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: HUB 4.0 Very slow

What speeds do you get at >> Sam Knows Real Speed << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better ethernet cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
seanjmcdonald93
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

hi sorry for the delayed response.

my speed on there is 200mbs. but when I had my hub 3.0 I was getting over 500mbs on speed tests via WIFI. now i am get 1/5th of what is advertised since plugging in the hub 4.0. I know i should try ethernet but my comparisons are the WIFI, and i can get ethernet to my pc where it is, I will try to borrow a laptop but my concern is the WIFI speeds are slower than hub 3.0 and i just tried to download a HP driver @ 45mbs and it took a couple of mins where it usually would be seconds. like I said I have been with virgin for years and not run into anything like this and I think I need a engineer to come out to have a look at it. 

thanks

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

As you said Wi-Fi isn't stable enough to do speed tests. Comparing the Hub 3 to a Hub 4 is like comparing Stilton Cheese with Red Leicester, they are both the same because they have cheese written on the wrapper but not the same once you taste them.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
seanjmcdonald93
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

wth are you in about. I had 500mbs with hub 3 over wifi... I change it to hub 4 and I get 200mbs over the same WiFi station at the same exact time tested both, and same distance. I have been checking everyday and I have not had any improvement. I should be able to download games at a faster pace now I have upgraded my Internet. My speedtests are slower now I have upgrade to 1gbs from 350mbs 

Your talking about cheese **bleep**, and your analogy doesn't work because I with the same wrapper (virgin) I have upgraded to get more cheese and I ain't getting none. I'm starving, simple

If you don't work for virgin and can't help my situation then I'd rather you not post anything, especially a stupid analogy like that. 

0 Kudos
seanjmcdonald93
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

FYI I just done a ethernet connection test and I get 60mbs. Definitely the hub

0 Kudos
Brava210
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Calm down...

I understand the Analogy very well.

"You know it's the Hub" so ring up and request an Engineer.

Virgin BB 200, Hub 3, 3 x V6, TP-Link Deco AX20 x1, M5 x2 - United Artists/Telewest/VM Since 1990
0 Kudos
seanjmcdonald93
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Do you not think I have been on the phone waiting for 3hrs on hold and getting cut off? Everyday I have tried to call and get put through to customer support. 

So don't tell me to calm down when these comments are not helpful and condescending. I am looking for help not to be told wifi is unstable when my wifi is more stable than my ethernet, 60mbs on ethernet is a joke - so you can stay in your lane unless you work for virgin and can help get me a new hub 4.0 

Also I don't need a engineer I need a new hub... a engineer will come a replace the hub and go, I can do this myself and save him the time to come out and save me having to wait around for him. 

See how calm you would be if you was in my shoes, total 7hrs on hold and no one responding on here with useful advice. Not got nowhere, what does it take to get through to these guys 10hrs on hold?

Brava210
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I do understand, trust me.

But it is not the end of the world

Virgin BB 200, Hub 3, 3 x V6, TP-Link Deco AX20 x1, M5 x2 - United Artists/Telewest/VM Since 1990
0 Kudos
George87
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It's not only you. Lots of us have the very same problem as you. This is a forum where people try to help each other. If you [REMOVED] off because your speed issues don't take it out on us. If you can't get the minimum guaranteed speed then change provider. I currently on the phone for the last 80 mins and I was on the phone for the las 8 days with no luck. 

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos