cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HITRON ROUTER AND STATIC IP

neon013
Tuning in

I have Virgin Media Business account with a HITRON router and at point of sale was told the 1 static IP I ordered would be sufficient to allow me to switch from PlusNet (1 static IP) and essentially use the HITRON router in modem only mode. PlusNet only offers 56Mb rather than the 350Mb claimed by Virgin.

I have a Draytek (handling VPM/VOIP) router that I cannot get to go through the HITRON for internet/VPM to other sites.

Having contacted VMB they are now telling me this is not possible. 

Reviewing other posts I cannot find any conclusive answer other than that others may have achieved the desired result by purchasing 5 static IPs or reverting to dynamic (and hoping it doesn't change). 

Could someone advise :-

1. Is 1 static IP possible ? i.e. has anyone achieved this via a third party router (hopefully Draytek) - I had an engineer at home recently who stated it was - "but its complicated and involves DMZ?"

2. Has anyone setup a Draytek router with a HITRON router - either one or multiple static IPs that pass through the HITRON. 

NOTE: I cannot really risk dynamic IPs although it would be interesting to know how sticky they are - hence does anyone have any experience of this.

Finally does anyone know if I use the residential service (at home) and order Homeworks (presumably with 1 static IP) I can achieve the same results via a different virgin router?

As 3 other sites are scheduled for engineers to arrive (who won't touch the Draytek!) I need to know if I'm cancelling virgin altogether or if there is a solution out there.

20 REPLIES 20

@countyman wrote:

It would be useful if Virginmedia Business would have a forum to discuss these sort of issues as I've not been able to find any real information on their website

you'd need to take that up with virgin business.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray