Menu
Marksman_M
Settling in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Great download, poor upload, affecting streaming services. Feel let down

Hi guys,

Hope all is well.  I don't know how many people are being affected by this issue but I have an ongoing problem with the upload speeds being slow.  Though the download speeds are good, whenever I play games (and I stream at the same time too), I get rubber banding effect and the stream itself auto ends because of the slow upload speeds.  It is affecting the quality of my streams and also the game experience, despite having good download speeds. (I have the 350 package).  This did not happen until the past few weeks when the issues began to occur.

The outage in the area is recognised by Virgin, but the fix is being delayed for a few weeks now. Initially they said by this Monday past, then Tuesday. Now they said by Friday. If this issue continues longer, is there anything I can do to just...improve the uploads temporarily.

The last update I received in relation to internet issues, was on the 13th April letting me know that the problem had been fixed and this issue has been existent for a while now. Possibly a month or more?

Will there be an exact day when the uploads will be fixed and if not, could I be notified if there will be a delay?  I have all notifications on the account active but receive nothing about this issue.

I am also a bit upset with this continual bad service because it is making my stream look terrible. Constant disconnects due to upload issues.  I'm more upset with the fact that Virgin told me that it would be fixed by Tuesday 9 a.m... so I trust them, start to stream on Tuesday in the afternoon (I have text/email notification enabled for any works/ updates on the work).  Check the speed before I start, looks ok...and then midway in my stream when I have viewers, lag hits and the stream just slugs to a grinding halt.  Why give a set day when the issue will be fixed, not be able to fix it on the day and then not notify the user about it?  If I was told there were still issues, I would not stream until it was fixed.  I have streamed on previous days before Tuesday, having been told a fix date, streamed on that date, only to have the streams stop because of upload speeds.  Essentially it's making me as a streamer, look bad.  Uploads literally go from 31mbps to 1-5mbps in a space of a few minutes/ seconds.

All I want...is continual stable service.  I appreciate that the internet is still functional and I have great download speeds, but this miscommunication and the constant need to call to see if the issue is fixed, is extremely frustrating.

I like Virgin, but I feel like for what I am paying for, I don't feel like I am getting my moneys worth, due to this.  Perhaps that is harsh but that is genuinely how I feel atm.  I just want to stream my games and build my channel and feel a bit let down here about this. Should I claim for some refund due to bad service? This is based in the Wembley area.

Thanks in advance,

Martin

0 Kudos
Marksman_M
Settling in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Great download, poor upload, affecting streaming services. Feel let down

Also, I have just noticed...I pay £64 for the M350 service but noticed that Virgin do an M500 service for £46/month then £62 after 12 months..? And it's available in my area?!  Do you have a !GB service??  So I am paying for the price of M500 and getting M350? What gives??

0 Kudos
risc19
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you read the forums you may notice that this is a common problem at the moment.

By the sounds of things you have erratic unstable latency (ping).

Good luck getting it fixed, I have the same problem and I've come to the conclusion it will never get fixed.

But to see what it really is we will need some info.

Please login to your router and copy and paste all the data here so we can see whats up.

Also thing about setting up a broadband quality monitor from think broadband. 

Give it a day or so or gather data, then post the link for it here as well. It's a very hand tool.

My Broadband Ping - 1GIG HUB4 Router mode

HUB4 1Gig Router mode
risc19
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Oh and as for the price thing, thats just how they do it.

If you phone up and select 'Thinking of leaving' you can negotiate a better price.

Then 18 months after that the price will go back up and you have to do it all over again!

My Broadband Ping - 1GIG HUB4 Router mode

HUB4 1Gig Router mode
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hey @Marksman_M

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post on our forums.

I have been able to locate your account and can see the area issue that is an SNR fault in your area and any time that we give is an estimated time as it can take longer to resolve such issues as the team have to find were the interference is coming from and stopping this.

The current estimated fix time for this is 26th April @ 13:00 under reference F008951363.

Regarding your package cost, have you spoken to the team about this to see if they can arrange a better deal for you?

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos