Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Good broadband speed

No problems but saw by chance my advertised download speed is 108mbps. I ran a test and only got 35.

Initially I thought I was paying for speed I didn't get so was a bit miffed.

Virgin help I think was automated so got no response there.

Finally I did some research and realised my speed of 35 was the speed over the WiFi which was not a fair measure.

Today I plugged a laptop in with an ethernet cables and got a good 95 Mbps.

I am happy now and I am sure virgin could have told me that but I had to find out the hard way.

My 35 WiFi speed is acceptable but drops out sometimes in rooms with solid walls.

Is it worth getting a WiFi extender or is that a waste of money?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Good broadband speed

what were you wanting virgin to tell you exactly? I'm not sure i follow what you are asking.

WIFI speeds will vary depending on local environment and your client devices.
108Mbps should be easily achievable over WIFI in the correct environment.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Malc99,

Thanks for posting.

Sorry that you're not getting the speeds you'd expect with your wireless connection.

As Chenks has said, WiFi isn't always reliable due to many factors that can affect it. You can find more information about getting the best out of your wireless connection via this link here.

I'm glad you're getting the expected wired speeds and this connection is performing well.

You could potentially be affected by congestion in your area at the moment, however the speeds you're getting on a wired connection suggests a low impact to your property. The fault reference for this is F007346980 and you can give this to any agent you speak to for an update.

You should be eligible for a service credit due to this, so I'll send you a private message now to clear account security.

Thanks

Melissa 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello Melissa,

Sorry for the caution but I always fear internet security.

My account number is [removed]. Full name is [removed]. I don't recall ever setting up memorable information but if I did I don't know it.

I am happy now that I am getting the speed I pay for. I don't know how to keep both 2g and 5g switched on. When my devices search for WiFi they now only see the 5g.?

Regards

Malcolm

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Malcolm,

You've posted this publicly. Can you please message me privately so we can discuss this further?

As you can see, our moderators have removed any private information so can you please provide this in the message. Your memorable word is the one that you use when you call up to speak to our team. 

Thanks

Melissa 

0 Kudos