Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

GoToMyPc Speed Loss

I work from home half the week, and make use of GoToMyPc to remotely access my desktop in the office. This has been the case for many years and I've rarely had an issue.

A few weeks ago I noticed the speed of my connection was severely degraded. In particular just typing was incredibly slow (I would type a small sentence and then watch as the keypresses appeared at a rate of about 1 every second or more) - you can imagine how fun that is. Nothing about my setup at home or at the office has changed, and this happened suddenly (I can't tell you when exactly as I've just been finding ways around the problem, but it was definitely fine one week and then not the next.

I've googled for possible solutions, but there is very little to be found, other than some mention that I should try pinging/tracing poll.gotomypc.com. I tried pinging, the average is about 150m/s, and a traceroute just goes up its own bum due to (from what I can determine as) massive packet loss.

Anyone got any clue what I need to do to resolve this?  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: GoToMyPc Speed Loss

1) The problem is over a wired connection at home?  If you're using wireless, then that might be an issue?  And don't forget it could be an internet routing issue or VPN load management problem, which would be outside VM's control.

2) Wait for the forum staff to pick this up and respond - sometimes takes a few days

3) Phone 150.  But don't expect the offshore slaves to even understand what latency is, expect to be told to do all manner of checks you've already done, before they blame your VPN and or your wifi.  Personally I'd only phone "customer service" as an absolute last ditch effort.

4) Do a bit of digging to diagnose any problem with your cable connection (bearing in mind that there may be no problem at all with that).  So connect to the hub, and don't log in but click on Check router status.  For downstream, Power must be no less than -5 dBmV and no more than +10 dBmV on all channels, all values should be within about 3 dBmV of each other, and ideally closer to zero than to the upper or lower limits.  SNR needs to be 35 dB or above for all channels, and all channels should be showing as 256 QAM modulation.  Scroll down, and see if there's any errors showing?  The error counter resets when you turn the hub off, assuming its a Hub 3 so you need to do that and see how fast they build up.  On a DOCSIS connection there's always errors, the important thing is that there aren't too many in a given time period.  In 24 hours I'd hope to see no more than 10 pre-RS errors per channel, and no more than one or two channels with low single digit post-RS errors - if you're seeing hundreds then there's probably a problem with noise, if you're seeing thousands there's definitely a problem.

For upstream, should be four channels shown, all at 64 QAM, and the power levels need to show on screen as no lower than about 3.3 dBmV and no higher than 4.9 dBmV.  Take a look in the Network log.  Any "RCS Partial Service" flags?  These indicate the hub is restarted or dropping channels.  Any problems with these numbers would require a technician visit to resolve, but if the problem is clearly known, then a quickish fix is more likely.

5) Trundle on over to Thinkbroadband.com and create an account and set up a Broadband Quality Monitor, this will continuously track the latency and packet loss on your connection, which may be a useful diagnostic, but only gives a meaningful view after say 24 hours.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: GoToMyPc Speed Loss

Thank you for those suggestions.

I'm just in the process of trying to work out how to set up to use a VPN on my Mac (although I'll need to get the VPN info from a coworker when I'm next in) so I can see if there is any improvement in the routing using that, in the meantime checking the downstream and upstream seem fine and no errors that I can see (although upstream is higher than your suggested 4.9 dBmV maximum, at around 42, but looking at other topics this might be allowable provided it doesn't reach 51?).

0 Kudos