Menu
KuroAkita
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Gig1 to router but only 200megabits to pc (cat 7 10gbps wired cabled, multiple cables tried aswell

The engineer has been round twice to try to sort this issue, I've even purchased a new network card and nothing works. Tried both 1gbps full-duplex and auto-detect.  

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gig1 to router but only 200megabits to pc (cat 7 10gbps wired cabled, multiple cables tried aswell

What speed do you get at >> Sam Knows Real Speed << using a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 or higher cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
KuroAkita
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gig1 to router but only 200megabits to pc (cat 7 10gbps wired cabled, multiple cables tried aswell

Hiya Mike, as stated in the thread it's 1gbps to the router but only 200 to the pc. The pc has a brand new gigabit card (but also a Gigi's it capable on board card) neither reach higher than 200 Mbps and the cables I've tried are two cat 6, a cat5e and a cat7 cable. 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

There are lots of reports that the Hub 4 will deliver multiple high speed connections from the Hub but not a single 1Gbs connection. This seems to be by design rather than a flaw in the design.

It makes sense because it is advertised as multiple high speed connections.

I have been searching around without success for a 4 into 1 ethernet adaptor (the opposite of a 5 port switch) so that all the speed of the Hub can be harnessed into 1 connection. 

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Can you borrow or scrounge a Macbook or Linux machine with an ethernet port to test?  There's some suspicions that "low" speeds off the Hub 4/Gig1 are down to some poorly understood Windows networking issue. 

An alternative that's free, doesn't need a different machine, and interesting (but not everybody's cup of tea) would be to download a "live" Linux distro such as Knoppix to a flashdrive on your PC, boot from that and see what speed you get.  That won't touch your main PC's boot drive, so there's zero risk of making a mess. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ManiacMatt
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have exactly the same issue - I have just upgraded and installed the hub 4 today.  I will post a separate thread but just wanted you to know you are not alone!

-Matt
BQM monitor:My Broadband Ping - Virgin Gig1
0 Kudos
VimtoSpark
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

From my experience the hub has some sort of sorting system, I think? I was pushing 900-1000mbps yesterday but get 100 max today on CAT7 with all other hardware supporting it. seems like the software for the router seems very rudimentary which doesn't allow you to select desired speeds for certain devices. 

EDIT: You can check speeds on the "Connected devices tab" on the Hub4 router and it clearly shows what its throttling speeds on other devices.  

0 Kudos