cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gig1 speeds very slow over ethernet

SilentMatty
Joining in

Hi there,

I purchased virgin media gig1 internet around a month ago and the download speeds over ethernet have been pathetic. I am getting 90mbps on samknows realspeed. I contacted  customer support and they told me it's an issue with my device - this is not true as other devices experience same issue. They also told me that my computer must not support gigabit connection - also not true, I have a motherboard which does support and also purchased a gigabit ethernet card (now £10 out of pocket!) thinking it would fix the issue  - it made no point.

Customer services have promised me twice they would raise the issue, never heard anything back. The second time I called up I was ensured I would be called back within the hour by a manager - this was 2 weeks ago and heard nothing back.

Over wifi I get 600mbps on samknows but all ethernet devices receive around 90. Virgin are refusing to help.

I have tried:

Pinhole Reset

Regular turning off router

4 different cat 5e/6 ethernet cables

multiple devices

starting main PC in safemode

Thank you!

10 REPLIES 10

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Many things unknown like yes VM could if they wanted to rate limit stuff with the hub showing the right speed you have tested other site and they show faster then 100Mb so not a NIC link problem.

Samknows may do things like test speed to hub by one server and its routing their and back is fine but testing device may use another server and its path has a port link at 100Mb somewhere with may other servers and routes being fine so others don't have a problem.

So test a game download by Steam because thats a true test

---------------------------------------------------------------