Menu
TheSingingBush
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Gig1 speed... let down

Upgraded to gig1 speed on Saturday last week, promised speed would be between 1.1GB and 1GB with an absolute bare minimum of 550mb at the busiest times.. so far I have seen just over 500mb twice and the rest being between 300 and 450mb... if this is correct for 1GB it is not what was sold to me, can i ask for them to cancel my deal?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gig1 speed... let down

How are you Speedtesting?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
TheSingingBush
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Using the speed test app as suggested by VM 👍

0 Kudos
Politegpig66
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

How can you moan, you are getting over a third the speed you pay for!

obv sarcasm. I am looking to cancel as well mate.

jhuk
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

They cannot promise anyone 1Gb/s+ apart from the internal Samknows software as the HUB LAN Port(s) will not do that speed, it will be about 950Mb/s max.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I meant over a wired or wireless connection and from what device?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
TheSingingBush
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Wired and wireless, used fast.com and speed test and both report the same.

0 Kudos
TheSingingBush
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

They did, and its detailed in the online chat I had which I why I upgraded. Thought it was too good to be true. The Hub4 isnt as good with wifi coverage either, very disappointed.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The Hub4 isnt as good with wifi coverage either, very disappointed.

If you can afford to splash your cash on a 1 Gbps connection, then given the modest real world benefits that brings, surely you can justify buying yourself a premium router offering Wifi 6?  ISP hubs are always cheapskate, low spec affairs with inferior wifi, why would you expect the Hub 4 to be any different to VM's previous hubs?   VM plan to eventually issue around 5 million or so Hub 4s, and so the spec they hammered out with the makers was as cheap and cheerless as possible.

And when you're considering what to buy, if you want maximum throughput, avoid most wifi mesh systems - I'm a big fan of mesh wifi, and have replaced the wireless of my Hub 3 with a TP-Link system, but mesh systems are optimised for coverage with decent practical speeds, not ultra-high speed throughput.  For that you're looking at (for example) a decent Asus router (EDIT: Carelessly linked to the excellent Asus RT-AC86U, but that's NOT a Wifi 6 router, so you'd need to do some asking around and research yourself for something that will offer that) costing well on the wrong side of £100, and if that still doesn't provide the required coverage and wireless speed throughout the property, adding a second similar calibre router configured in access point mode and connected to the DHCP router by Cat 7 ethernet cable. 

And this advice applies to ANYBODY who decides they need 1 Gbps.  Running a 1 Gbps through an ISP hub's router is like putting rocket fuel into a family hatchback, and then being surprised when the performance remains rubbish.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@TheSingingBush wrote:

Wired and wireless, used fast.com and speed test and both report the same.

What about the speed test built into the Hub 4?  I believe it shows speed to hub (which is the one VM guarantee) and speed to device which is usually lower.

http://www.samknows.com/realspeed

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks