cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gig1 package questions

gonnella
On our wavelength

Hi,

When will the Gig1 package get an uplift in its upload speed?

When will Gig1 package customers be able to get an Hub5?

Answers to these questions will help decide after 3 years of using the service, whether to move to the competition with higher upload speeds.

Thanks

Pete

9 REPLIES 9

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

How long is a piece of string ?

Seriously, who knows.  To put some information around the "what if's" for VM, there is a 10 year old thread still asking "when will VM start using IPv6"

I suspect no one really know the answer to the upstream and can only speculate.

As for the Hub 5 situation, I believe there was a shortage of all VM Hubs, and this is slowly being resolved.  Again, will VM backtrack on 1Gb orders and give everyone a Hub 5?  Your guess is as good as mine.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

IPFreely
Fibre optic

As long as you've an OFDMA upstream channel likely Q1 of this year as far as upload goes.

That said I've no idea why you wouldn't move to the competition if full fibre is available regardless. The superior latency, jitter and responsiveness more than offset the extra download speed from VM even via the Hub 5.

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @gonnella,

Thank you for your post and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

We're always looking at expanding and improving our services where we can. Regarding the Hub, what model of Hub do you have currently and are you experiencing any issues with it?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

gonnella
On our wavelength

Hub4, I have it in modem-only mode.

Essentially the reason for wanting the Hub5 is the 2.5gbit uplink port to my UDM Pro SE so I can get the full 1.1gbps rather than be restricted by the 1gig uplink port on the Hub4.

Reading the posts of other customers there is now zero confidence that the Hub 5 will be delivered as part of a Gig 1 upgrade or new service.

Far more chance the service profile would  become Gig 1 and the same Hub 4 will be in place for the duration.

Caveat emptor.

There are numerous posts on this forum from people being supplied a Hub 4 rather than a Hub 5 with the Gig1 package. I was also sent a Hub 4 but should now be receiving a new Hub 5 on Monday. 

Was that a phone promise or is there a package with a tracking number

I have a confirmation message and it's how got my account online.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
F.O.I. .... Can you post back to confirm you actually receive one

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.