Menu
Reply
MrMusketUK
  • 18
  • 0
  • 0
On our wavelength
932 Views
Message 1 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Gig1 maximum speed with Hub 4

Hi All,

I recently received a free volt upgrade to Gig1 and installed the replacement hub 4 yesterday (upgrade from hub 3).

I see that Gig1 is advertised as averaging 1130Mbps but the Asus XT8 mesh system I am using seems to max out at around 950Mbps which I believe is a limitation of the 1Gbps network ports on the Hub 4. Is there any way of requesting a swap to Hub 5 or will everyone on Gig1 be upgraded eventually?

EF55457A-CFCF-4B06-8CA0-CCD2A32738E3.jpeg

 

Thanks

Miles

----------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Reply
Adduxi
  • 6.11K
  • 514
  • 1.58K
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
927 Views
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gig1 maximum speed with Hub 4

Hub 5 is by invite only and is still on trial.  You should read some of the Hub 5 posts and decide if you would even want one at this stage.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

MrMusketUK
  • 18
  • 0
  • 0
On our wavelength
912 Views
Message 3 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gig1 maximum speed with Hub 4

Thanks,

Just had a quick look and it seems fairly stable in modem mode so I would be happy to give it a go as the XT8 has a 2.5Gbps WAN port….will just have to wait and see if I get an invite…
----------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Reply
jbrennand
  • 33.84K
  • 3.32K
  • 6.43K
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
891 Views
Message 4 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gig1 maximum speed with Hub 4

You wont get an invite as you are on 1GB - and their Wifi Pods do not work on the Hub5 (its still on trial) so they dont want lots of GB customers complaining that their free Pods have stopped working. Although that is also true for customers on other packages that have Pods - but I suspect those have been mostly excluded from the invite.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Reply
ricky43
  • 9
  • 0
  • 1
Tuning in
881 Views
Message 5 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gig1 maximum speed with Hub 4

I received my Hub 4 yesterday and installed it all.

 

I was on M600 before, but I’ve only EVER received a max on 300Mbps. I know, I should call support, but I dread talking to them. My local network is rather complex, but well built. And I always use the Hub I’m modem mode with an OpenWRT router and APs. (Long story short, it’s not my local network that’s the issue, I’ve tested every switch and cable)

 

anyway, I digress. I was extremely surprised when I found the Hub4 has 1Gb ports. It seems mental to upgrade people to ~1.1Gb internet and then bottleneck the ports.

 

I was going to upgrade my entire network to 2.5/5Gb switches but I won’t bother now 

0 Kudos
Reply
legacy1
  • 19.61K
  • 803
  • 2.08K
Alessandro Volta
856 Views
Message 6 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gig1 maximum speed with Hub 4


@MrMusketUK wrote:
Just had a quick look and it seems fairly stable in modem mode so I would be happy to give it a go as the XT8 has a 2.5Gbps WAN port

And the LAN ports are 1Gb so you still get 940Mb by one device

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Reply
carl_pearce
  • 1.44K
  • 94
  • 317
Knows their stuff
846 Views
Message 7 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gig1 maximum speed with Hub 4


@legacy1 wrote:

@MrMusketUK wrote:
Just had a quick look and it seems fairly stable in modem mode so I would be happy to give it a go as the XT8 has a 2.5Gbps WAN port

And the LAN ports are 1Gb so you still get 940Mb by one device


Unless you have a WiFi-6 device at a reasonable distance:

carl_pearce
  • 1.44K
  • 94
  • 317
Knows their stuff
845 Views
Message 8 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gig1 maximum speed with Hub 4


@ricky43 wrote:

I received my Hub 4 yesterday and installed it all.

 

I was on M600 before, but I’ve only EVER received a max on 300Mbps. I know, I should call support, but I dread talking to them. My local network is rather complex, but well built. And I always use the Hub I’m modem mode with an OpenWRT router and APs. (Long story short, it’s not my local network that’s the issue, I’ve tested every switch and cable)

 

anyway, I digress. I was extremely surprised when I found the Hub4 has 1Gb ports. It seems mental to upgrade people to ~1.1Gb internet and then bottleneck the ports.

 

I was going to upgrade my entire network to 2.5/5Gb switches but I won’t bother now 


It's designed for use across multiple devices, wired and wireless, concurrently.

0 Kudos
Reply
MrMusketUK
  • 18
  • 0
  • 0
On our wavelength
840 Views
Message 9 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gig1 maximum speed with Hub 4


@legacy1 wrote:

@MrMusketUK wrote:
Just had a quick look and it seems fairly stable in modem mode so I would be happy to give it a go as the XT8 has a 2.5Gbps WAN port

And the LAN ports are 1Gb so you still get 940Mb by one device


I have quite a few devices with 802.11ax connectivity 

----------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Reply
ricky43
  • 9
  • 0
  • 1
Tuning in
837 Views
Message 10 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gig1 maximum speed with Hub 4

Yeah, I get it. But annoying as I use modem mode. So no matter how fast my internet is to the hub, I’ll never get above 1Gb. 

Feel like they cheaper out, they should have provided at least 1 2.5Gb+ port for people who don’t want to use WiFi