cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gig1 high ping / latency spikes with connection dropping to ~350mbps

nirurin
Tuning in

New GIG1 install, the lines only got built into this area of the country a few weeks ago and I have been wired up for about 2 weeks or so.

So I had been noticing some weird issues where a youtube or twitch stream would buffer or cut out for a few seconds (something that should never happen on a gig connection). I also then played a game on the switch and had some lag spikes, another thing I never thought I would see again after moving from my old 30mb BT broadband connection. 

But most of the time when I did an ookla speed test, it would be perfectly fine 14ms-16ms 900+Mbps. But occasionally (very rarely) it would instead throw out a ~350Mbps result... but another test would go back to normal. So at first I just thought the bad test happened cos something else was using the bandwidth at that time. 

So I hunted out a test that actually did consistent automatic reporting, and came across this:
Screenshot 2022-05-12 001136.png

This picture is pretty consistent with what I would see. Mostly fine, but occasional very high spikes. I then set up my server to run 24 hours of consistent speed tests just to see if there were any trends. These tests were run every couple of minutes. 

Screenshot 2022-05-12 004242.png

So I kept looking for a better test that may actually give me some info on what's wrong, and popped into this forum and saw the ThinkBroadband one that was being used, and immediately signed up, expecting to have to wait a couple days to get any kind of picture of what might be going on. I'll post up the link in here once I have it up and running properly, but as there does seem to be something very wrong with the speed consistency I thought I'd post up and see if anyone had any immediate advice for me to get started with! 

19 REPLIES 19

I would not say that it happening during a whole 24 hour test counts as a blip... also this was over a week ago now, and as far as I can tell nothing has changed. 

I do have concerns about it being a problem with the router, as I seem to have been stuck with an old Hub4 when there is already a replacement (designed to be gig compatible) rolling out to customers. Not sure where my sign-up costs went to, if I'm getting old equipment out of it...

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Pushing 1Gb at any time will at some bottleneck be it the server that is testing others and at the worst time many tests need to be done that 1Gb to you at that time is not possible also a router a long the way to you may at the worst time be over loaded.
---------------------------------------------------------------

This seems irrelevant to the issue? 

If the network is being overloaded to the point where I'm not longer getting my guaranteed minimum speeds, then what is the point of guaranteed minimum speeds? 

Seems like you're making excuses for virgin. 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

I don't make excuses for virgin for everything I have a lot of hate for the pods and router mode.

If you want my view on guaranteed minimum speed the truth is VM did not say from where the guaranteed minimum speed is by from what server so the server you got your download speed graph showing may not be what VM guarantees also is the guaranteed minimum speed from a single server or many to make up the guaranteed minimum speed?

The guaranteed minimum speed should be lower to the 2nd lowest upto speed package like 100Mb not that VM will do that of course.

A new graph, done over the last 24 hours, showing results taken from 10pm yesterday to 8pm today. 

So this is over a week since the last graph, and nothing has changed, so this is not a "temporary issue" and certainly not one that has "been resolved". 

One of the tests even dipped down to 50mbps which is my -upload- speed for this line. 

So obviously, I'll be requesting this months direct debit to be refunded for this account, and every month until this is resolved. 

Screenshot 2022-05-19 202249.png

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Sounds like fun...

Hi @nirurin
I have checked our systems and can see that your attenuation is out of spec. Do you have any 3rd party equipment or connectors installed in the cabling that might be affecting this? If not, we can look at booking your an engineer to investigate this further. Please join me on private message so I can book you the earliest tech appointment available. You can see your private messages at the top of the page, in the envelope icon. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Carley_S wrote:

I have checked our systems and can see that your attenuation is out of spec. Do you have any 3rd party equipment or connectors installed in the cabling that might be affecting this? 

Your talking Docsis attenuation right? and by 3rd party you mean by ethernet? the two can't affect each other.

I have only normal equipment connected, computers etc, nothing that it shouldn't be designed to handle. 

Hi nirurin thanks for getting back to us.

I can see that you're liaising with a few of my colleagues via private message.  I am going to leave you in their capable hands.  

Regards

Lee