Menu
bradley
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Gig1 - but speed less than 100mbs

Hello.

Last couple of days when doing Speedtest - it is less than 100mbs, rather than anywhere near 1Gig!

I did reboot Hub yesterday evening and the speed increased to 900+, as per the guidance on website.

Not really wanting to reboot every time speed drops - can anyone advise or help. (If I only get less than 100mbs I'm not too inclined on paying for Gig1)

Appreciate any guidance.

C_Butcher86
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Gig1 - but speed less than 100mbs

Hi,

Have you used the Samknows QR code to check the speed at the hub before your home network? send me a PM with some more info If you have already tried this.

Thanks Chris

To PM just hover over my profile picture and click Send Message when the option comes up. Please don't post any of the info I've asked for in this thread as it's public

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

www.samknows.com/realspeed is the direct URL that you can use from any device connected to the Hub 4.

That will test both the connection between Sam Knows and your Hub, and Sam Knows and your device. Speedtest only does a test to your device so can be affected by Ethernet or WiFi problems.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
bradley
Tuning in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thank you

Just trying the SamKnows, however getting the following response.

Please check your SamKnows enabled device is turned on and connected to the internet.

Try again

iMac is connected to Hub via ethernet cable. I have switch Hub off and the on and speed back to 940 on Speedtest. How do I get the SamKnows test to run?

0 Kudos
bradley
Tuning in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

SamKnows link doesn't work - says the enabled device is offline.

i have switched Hub on and off - speeds goes back up for a while and then reverts to about 95mbs.

Appreciate any further guidance.

Thank you
0 Kudos
ian_harker
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I have my H4 in modem mode and samknows don't like that ???

and I have low sped as well

this is going to be a pain to test as I need the internet up as we are on lockdown and have a lot home working and need connectivity for online video meetings and access to NAS storage units which we had to pull from our place of work as the offices are shut and no longer maintained , so cant really keep rebooting the H4 or do tests aaarrrgghhhh

0 Kudos
ToffeeSurprise
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You'll have to put the SH4 into normal mode to do a Sam Knows test, you can pop it straight back into modem mode once you're done.

0 Kudos
bradley
Tuning in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hello

SamKnows is working and it's showing speed 1040 - so appears to be fine. (I'll cease using the 'Speedtest')

Thank you  for your help.

0 Kudos
sjmartinlx
Tuning in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Since getting the gig 1 fibre my WiFi speed barely reaches 200,most of the time it's a lot lower, using samknows realspeed the speed to the hub 4 is 1050 -1070 but the WiFi is less than 100. Using the ethernet it's 800ish.

Please help, virgin has changed the cable to the house, no change. The tablet I use is capable of up to 866mbps so surely I should be getting somewhere near that.

SteveM

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

You are getting the correct speed to the Hub so the slow Wi-Fi is down to your devices or the environment.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos