Menu
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Gig1 but only some of the time

I had the Gig1 service installed on 20th February this year.

The Virgin preinstall team turned up a couple of weeks before the install date but did nothing and left, so when the installer actually came on the 20th, he had to put a splitter in, in order for 2 services to be live at my address - I checked when ordering and they said they'd actually install another cable, as the business service I have was separate - annoying but not the end of the world as I'm shortly to cancel the business service anyway, but I did check with the installer who came on the 20th and he said they were supposed to have pulled another cable.

One of the first things I did after a little playing around and speed testing etc... was to put the hub4 in modem only mode as I run my own router, and wifi setup. Initially this was fine, the first couple of days I was getting 700-880mbit (I have the speed limited to 880mbit to reduce buffer bloat - but max line speed is somewhere in the region of 940mbit with overheards, big oversight on VM's part not to include a 10Gb port on the hub4 for future bandwidth increases) hub responded to pings, my latency checkers all showing a drop in baseline ping and maximum pings, everything seems as I'd hoped.

However, over the next few days I started to notice something odd, at random the hub4 would just stop, for want of a better wording processing packets, nothing shows up on latency as seemingly upload is unaffected (speed checkers seem to confirm this with maybe 0.5mbit download but still getting 52mb upload), but the download just becomes non-existent, I watch alot of Twitch/Youtube/Netflix/Amazon Prime and they just stop all of a sudden and this can last anywhere from 5-20mins generally then everything goes back to normal - normal webpages load but very slowly, the weird thing is that I don't seem to see any packet loss on either my router measuring latency, or external latency checkers so I'm not actually sure whats happening, I hope and pray that this isn't the same as with the hub3/Hitron CGNv4 Intel Puma chipset issue as I read the hub4 uses a newer Intel Puma chipset. I'd also noticed that now the hub4 just does not respond to command line pings where it had been the first few days, now I'm lucky if 1 in every 100 or so pings results in a response, the rest of the time I just get 'Request timed out' or 'Reply from 192.168.100.1: Destination net unreachable' - rebooting the hub4 doesn't solve this. I presume its potentially a firmware bug that will get worked out in time? Hopefully sooner rather than later

Any help on this issue would be great, let me know what information is needed to see if theres any issues that require an engineer to adjust something.

When the service works its great the additional download speed I didn't really need, having gone from 220mbit to 880mbit is very noticeable with game downloads etc... and the switch to Docsis3.1 is noticeable with lower latency in games, and the extra upload the main reason I switched is awesome, and the responsiveness of web pages loading or switching quicker, however the issue with download disappearing for a given time really holds me back from being able to recommend this service currently

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gig1 but only some of the time

Hello Can you posts your stats from going to 192.168.0.1 and clicking Check router status.

If you can paste the downstream, upstream and configuration information and any logs
----------------------------------------------------------
ThinkBroadband Quality Graph Gig1

If my post helped you please remember to Kudos me 😉

Tazz
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tazz, 

I will do later, if the Hub4 allows me to log in, the web page and pinging it succeed maybe once every 100 attempts (no joke), unless I fully reset the hub, and put it from router back into modem mode, and then I have a window of maybe 4 hours before it goes back to not responding, oh and sometimes, it'll just randomly reset the admin password back to the default aswell, which is really helpful. I'm fairly certain the problem with the hub4 is that it overheats, it gets incredibly warm in normal operation, so I've put a usb laptop cooler underneath it to blow air through it and now I rarely get the issue with the modem just dropping packets on streaming services, but the webpage still remains inaccessible. I'm out this evening so I'll post them when I have a chance later this evening.

Luke

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Also.

Set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing.

Post a link to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 link chain)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tazz,

Apologies for the delay, was busy last night and didn't get a chance until just now to do this, note that I had to reset the router in order to get access to the gui, and then put it back in modem mode, so the network logs are shortly after boot and switching to modem mode (I know this pulls from a different IP pool)

Status page - https://imgur.com/a/uAk5N0g

Downstream 1 - https://imgur.com/a/LVUFZyB

Downstream 2 - https://imgur.com/a/SOfqFnD

Downstream 3 - https://imgur.com/a/B3bKZ6x

Upstream - https://imgur.com/a/qT1HA7y

Configuration - https://imgur.com/a/I3jQibO

Networklog - https://imgur.com/a/GOb9lSE

Regards,

Luke

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi MikeRobbo,

Sure, I use thinkbroadband already, have done for years, as well as fruk.net, and also my pfsense router, see links below;

thinkbroadband - 1st , 2nd , 3rd , 4th , 5th , 6th , 7th , 8th , 9th , 10th , 11th , 12th , Live

fruk.net - https://imgur.com/a/XAgL6xY

pfsense - https://imgur.com/a/eIp3rOJ

Other than the 1st at around 1pm, all the packet loss is me switching the hub off and back on again, this is when video sites have stopped responding, for example twitch will just stop the stream and you get the spinning circle like its buffering and eventually times out.

I also stream my gameplay so where there is large amounts of average latency thats usually me aswell.

Regards,

Luke

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Oh and the other thing I've just remembered, is that I work from home sometimes, and since switching to this connection (from the business 200mb using the Hitron CGNv4), conincedentally it's the same time as the disappearing download/packet loss, my VPN to work switches to 'trying to reconnect' and I'm unable to connect to Office365 exchanges servers. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your post Luke_113 

I'm sorry to see that you've been having issues with your broadband speeds as well as the intermittent drops in service.

Are you still having issues with this service or does this still require our input?

Drop a response below and either I or one of my colleagues will seek to take this to PM

Kindest regards,

David

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi David_Bn,
Thanks for coming back on the above, yes still having issues and right now in this vital home working phase I REALLY need my connection to work and not be flaky and constantly disconnect and cause me issues with my work VPN which I require to access remote systems. Already this morning I've had several VPN disconnects and websites that require constant access to, to use online tools timing out and stop me saving work. I can confirm this is not an issue with the kit within my own infrastructure because I can switch to using my mobile connection into my router and will not see the same issues occur, it appears to be an issue with the Hub4 in modem mode, it is not feasable for me to run the Hub4 in router mode, and would take a considerable amount of reconfiguring my side to run the Hub4 in router mode, seems strange as the Hub4 is technically doing less in modem mode and should if anything be more stable than router mode.
Thanks,
Luke
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Settling in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@Luke_113 wrote:
Hi MyCFAVisit
Thanks for coming back on the above, yes still having issues and right now in this vital home working phase I REALLY need my connection to work and not be flaky and constantly disconnect and cause me issues with my work VPN which I require to access remote systems. Already this morning I've had several VPN disconnects and websites that require constant access to, to use online tools timing out and stop me saving work. I can confirm this is not an issue with the kit within my own infrastructure because I can switch to using my mobile connection into my router and will not see the same issues occur, it appears to be an issue with the Hub4 in modem mode, it is not feasable for me to run the Hub4 in router mode, and would take a considerable amount of reconfiguring my side to run the Hub4 in router mode, seems strange as the Hub4 is technically doing less in modem mode and should if anything be more stable than router mode.
Thanks,
Luke

I've just remembered, is that I work from home sometimes, and since switching to this connection (from the business 200mb using the Hitron CGNv4), conincedentally it's the same time as the disappearing download/packet loss, my VPN to work switches to 'trying to reconnect' and I'm unable to connect to Office365 exchanges servers. 

0 Kudos