Menu
Dialled in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Gig1 - actual speed achieved

I do appreciate that testing speed isn't an exact science and also in my case I have the Hub4 in modem mode and an Asus router installed.

Anyway since I was upgraded to Gig1 I have been monitoring speed using the likes of OVH, broadbandperformance and thinkbroadband. Over several weeks the results have been fairly similar at around 650Mb/s. More recently that has increased to 800Mb/s. The test has been done with the same PC that is directly attached to the router via ethernet (although I have tried a laptop as well with same results)

Is this what other people are finding with Gig1. I've never been able to get into the dizzy heights of 900Mb/s+

I have also started to test latency, doesnt seem too bad to me.

archercj_0-1603261275366.png

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gig1 - actual speed achieved

Personally I wouldn't be impressed if I subscribed to VM's premium broadband service, and saw those latency spikes (and there's a packet loss event several minutes long in the early hours of the morning?).  Together with the lowish speeds that does suggest a noise or power problem on your connection, because when working properly you should see 940 Mbps (that's the maximum speed you can get out of a single "gigabit" port on a Hub 4, so that's all the Asus has to play with).

It's difficult to say if this is a common problem, because although there's quite a few Hub 4 speed issues being reported, the vast majority of people come to this forum because they've got a question or a problem, not because their service is working 100% as hoped for.  A personal guess is that the Hub 4 is seeing proportionately quite a lot more speed problems than Hub 3s, but I can't offer anything other than anecdotal evidence and assumptions to back that up.

If it is an intermittent issue resolving it may be quite trying, because each time VM staff look it'll all be looking normal.  You can try posting the Hub's status data here and we can look for obvious problems, but experience with and technical knowledge of the Hub 4 is distinctly limited.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Dialled in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thats how I perceive it Andruser.

Ok so we get a new Hub because of the need to support a new protocol which supports the faster speed but it is still the same fiber route.

I also dont trust SamKnows as a means to test speed directly via their hub (the Hub4 is SamKnows enabled). It seems too 'clean' if you know what I mean.

I've said this before on here but we do need an agreed speed test standard (such as OVH) that we can present on here (and to Virgin) but with caveats such as any test must be conducted on a device that has just been rebooted, has no programs running and is hard wired to the router.

I will post the Hub 4's status data shortly. If anything it might guide people who are just getting Hub4's. I will also start a new thread asking people to post their Hub4 speed test using a 'reliable' site. 

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@archercj wrote:

Thats how I perceive it Andruser.

Ok so we get a new Hub because of the need to support a new protocol which supports the faster speed but it is still the same fiber route.

I also dont trust SamKnows as a means to test speed directly via their hub (the Hub4 is SamKnows enabled). It seems too 'clean' if you know what I mean.

I've said this before on here but we do need an agreed speed test standard (such as OVH) that we can present on here (and to Virgin) but with caveats such as any test must be conducted on a device that has just been rebooted, has no programs running and is hard wired to the router.

I will post the Hub 4's status data shortly. If anything it might guide people who are just getting Hub4's. I will also start a new thread asking people to post their Hub4 speed test using a 'reliable' site. 

The Sam Knows test was designed by Virgin and Sam Knows so if the speeds don't meet spec Virgin have got nothing to hide behind, any other test site they can make excuses and nobody can argue the fact.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
Dialled in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I did a quick check of the Hubs data. 

Downstream figures are showing Power (dBmV) between 5 to 6 on all channels and SNR (dB) 40.3 to 40.9.

I did want to run a SamKnows test but I have the Hub4 in Modem mode and last time I swapped it back over to router itdecided to forget my admin password (and the default wouldnt work either) so I ended up doing a factory reset (pin) after a load of swearing

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

My speeds fluctuate between 800 to 940 but achieving this outwith 'speedtests' in the actual cyberspace is a different kettle of fish altogether. 

I'm currently downloading from the Blizzard app and it's going between 350 and 450. Steam sometimes manages to saturate but not often. 

Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@archercj wrote:

I did a quick check of the Hubs data. 

Downstream figures are showing Power (dBmV) between 5 to 6 on all channels and SNR (dB) 40.3 to 40.9.

I did want to run a SamKnows test but I have the Hub4 in Modem mode and last time I swapped it back over to router itdecided to forget my admin password (and the default wouldnt work either) so I ended up doing a factory reset (pin) after a load of swearing

I know in the Hub 3 there is a function in the admin area to backup the Hub settings, is there one in the Hub 4 ?

Hub-Backup

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

mine was going up and down at start ...getting 943 at the wire ...getting 779 over wifi on my samsung s20 ultra...

0 Kudos