cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gig1 Speed Issue

plynch66
On our wavelength

Hi,

For about the last week I've noticed an intermittent performance issue with my Gig1 connection. I'm on my 2nd Hub4 (in router mode) and it has been rock solid for months until recently. I'm seeing some spikes in latency and also my Sam Knows Real Speed test is all over the place. 

I've also got a ThinkBroadband monitor set up here :

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/50d1c5a70e1bf348a3da1288d92b7b1443...

Here is my most recent Sam Knows test result :

Sam Knows Real Speed.png

Can anyone help shed some light on this ?

Thanks,

Paul

12 REPLIES 12

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @plynch66

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the forums! 

I'm so sorry to hear that you are facing these speed issues with your Gig1 connection! 

I have taken a look on our side and I can see that there are a few issues with the specs and expected speeds. 

For this reason I do think it would be best for us to get an engineer out to take a look.

I'll pop you a PM now to arrange this, please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message.

Thank you. 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

No need to care about the speed to hub when your getting the speed to your device.

The spikes can be caused by doing speed tests and uploads if you max your upto limit or the bandwidth is not available you buffer in the hub or the upstream is glitchy.

---------------------------------------------------------------

plynch66
On our wavelength

Hi,

Are you absolutely sure that's correct ? It was my understanding that the Real Sam Knows test measures the speed from the Sam Knows servers to the external interface of the Hub4 and then also measures the speed from the Hub4 on its internal interface to the device running the test, which in this case is my desktop PC connected via Cat5e cable (hence the near 1Gbps speed on that part of the test)

If I run the same test from my phone, I see a much reduced speed (approx 400Mbps) on the internal interface test, which is exactly what I would expect since my Google Pixel 4a phone can only achieve that speed via Wi-Fi.

I have previously run the Sam Knows speed test (using the same Hub4 and PC) and achieved a constant speed to the Hub4 (the external interface) of around 1137Mbps - this has been the case for several months, the speed never dropped below 1000Mbps on the external interface test until about a week ago.

Regards,

Paul

plynch66
On our wavelength

I based my understanding of the Real Sam Knows test on what I read here :

https://samknows.cdn.prismic.io/samknows/51e56b4d-ef8d-45b8-94e8-20b5a64153f0_RealSpeed.pdf

Paul

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello again @plynch66

Thanks so much for your private message and confirming your address, I have now booked you a visit for speeds – you can check the date and time via your online account here. If you have any issues with accessing your online account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to confirm.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.

If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

Hi Ash,

I have run a few Sam Knows Real Speed tests in the last hour or so and it would appear that the issue has been resolved, so I don't need an engineer visit. I will respond to the text I received from Virgin to this effect.

I power cycled my Hub4 this morning at around 09:30 and that seemed to make no difference at all - in fact my 'Speed to Virgin Media Hub 4' result was worse than before (around 448Mbps). Around 4 or 5 hours later whatever the root cause of the problem was appears to have been fixed and I am now seeing speeds of up to 1144Mbps to my Hub again.

plynch66_0-1651592427884.png

Thanks,

Paul

jhuk
Trouble shooter

As you have found out junk and unreliable/erratic (more out then in etc), go by real file downloads.

Ther is plenty of threads on the topic so no real need to contest the help above as his advice was spot on.

It stopped working for a period there till the other day for many of us, claiming something about "WIFI network not compatible" (it is WIRED).

plynch66
On our wavelength

Hi,

I'm not really sure what point you are trying to make but, to your comment about real file downloads, I tried a number of file downloads from some very reputable mirror sites (the University of Kent UK Mirror Service for example) which have massive bandwidth and I couldn't get anywhere near the advertised speed of my Gig1 service.

Paul

jhuk
Trouble shooter

I could not have put it any clearer, yes you may have had legit speed issue, but SamKnows is wrong a lot of the time with unrealistic results.

The chances are if I run it now, I will get a poor result even though I just grabbed d large file at full speed 5mins ago.

Speedtest.net is more accurate ep the App you install.