Menu
MrWashu
Joining in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Gig1 Speed Issue

Okay, so for the last week the connection has gone from averaging 860-830Mbps to 420-660Mbps with latency going up and down regardless of restarts.

I've configured this to go via my own router with the useless Hub 4 in modem mode due to it blocking L2TP connections. This is regardless of the time of day so really this has to be something local and really has hacked me off after moving from 350Mbps on the gaming setup and paying a "Setup fee" for an existing service to be upgrade.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gig1 Speed Issue

What are you Speedtesting with?

what speed do you get direct to the hub?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
NickWba20
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

This doesn't fill me with confidence. I'm currently on 350 much like you were and thought I'd just go for gig 1 as its a very big difference from 350. Reading this doesnt make me feel great. 

0 Kudos
MrWashu
Joining in
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Speedtesting with multiple different servers from speedtest.net and using speedtest2.aa.net.uk as I trust their reliablity, or if you mean via what internal medium, via ethernet, I know Wireless has multiple issues that can cause speed issues and latency.

Makes no difference if in modem or hub mode, still the poor speed over it.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

With the hub in Router Mode what speed do you get here: https://samknows.com/realspeed/

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
MrWashu
Joining in
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

That test doesnt work as the Hub 4 doesnt seem to be a Sam Knows enabled device, should it be?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

You need to do it in Router Mode not Modem Mode, per my post. 

0 Kudos
MrWashu
Joining in
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Sorry my reply must of been confusing, I did put this back into router mode to test and this still said this message, could this be a faulty unit?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Usually that means it’s not in router mode.

Did you reboot it as well?

0 Kudos
Luke_113
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I’ve had the exact same issue. The Hub4 is a deeply unsatisfying ‘upgrade’ over the Hub3, its more locked down, has zero online help currently (not that I’d expect that to be any different from the helplines) - restart restart restart turn WiFi on/off (not that I use the rubbish WiFi).

If the SamKnows real speed test actually works and detects the router when in router mode it’ll show a speed that you will never ever receive, maybe very very occasionally I’ll get near that magical 940mbit (very well Virgin’s speed test showing 1.4Gbps,400mbit I cant use because of their cheap out on the hub having no 10Gb port!), when I download from sources I KNOW have more than enough bandwidth and aren’t being used, mostly I get around 500-600mbits, oddly just above the bare minimum that Virgin Media can provide me before I can complain and get money back, yes 500mbit isn’t bad but thats slightly over half what I should be receiving. As with Cox communications in the US, Virgin run their nodes past recommended peak usage to maximise value, at the cost of user bandwidth and quality of service on their network.

0 Kudos