cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gig1 Install yesterday - Speed is less than half

Scage
Dialled in

Hi All

I had TV, Broadband and Phone installed yesterday. I have taken the Ultimate Oomph Bundle and opted for Gig1 as it was available.

I tested the speed while the engineer was here and got between 200-281 Mbps over Wi-Fi to my iPhone. I asked the engineer about this and he said it would take a while to settle down but should improve within a day. 

My Xbox Series X is connected by ethernet and its network speed test says it is receiving between 360 and 380 Mbps.

I have done a Sam knows test on my iPhone and it shows speed to the Virgin Media Hub 4 as 135 Mbps and speed to the iPhone as 277 Mbps.

So I'm basically getting the minimum speeds expected of M500.

I would be grateful if someone could help me and see if there is anything in my stats which looks off. The online help all focuses on checking everything is connected and on restarting. I have gone to live chat so that the issue is recorded (obviously I'm in my cooling off period) and they said there is a priority 4 fault in my area which is being resolved at 11am on Sunday. However, Virgin's website shows a green tick and that there are no known issues. The livechat person says I will get my actual speed once this is fixed. But I am a bit sceptical of this.

I will try and post the hub 4 stats in replies to this post.

Thanks in advance.

289 REPLIES 289

Hi @Scage

I am going to send you a quick private message.

Regards

Lee

@Scage wrote:

Hi Lee

Thanks for your response and for your help.

I didn’t mean “complaint” in that context. I meant complaint in terms of the issue/condition I am being affected by and that  recent answers haven’t been relevant to that.

The focus on results by WiFi or not is not important to my actual complaint, but no one from VM seems to be bothered to read anything more than the previous post.”

It is the low upload speeds during the day time - to the hub itself that I am requesting help with.

Thanks

James

ED55C7CA-FE02-49DB-ACCA-984FBA7949E4.png

Hi,

For comparison this is the Sam Knows result for my Gig1 connection - definitely looks like there is an issue with your upload speed.

plynch66_0-1652958678727.png

Paul

Thank you Paul. That is really helpful. My connection can sometimes hit those heights to the hub late at night, which is how I know there is an issue. 

Hi Lee

Thanks for your help. As you know the AFM arranged a senior engineer visit for Friday. I waited in all day. But no one turned up or let me know they weren’t able to make it. I would be grateful if you could follow up with them please?

Thank you

James

Hey Scage, thank you for reaching out. 

I am going to get this chased up for you and get an update to you when I can. Thanks

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Good afternoon

Any update on this please?

F93F3DED-952E-4760-832E-EEFF8D11B2B5.png

Hi @Scage I am going to send you a quick private message.

Regards

Lee

For the record - this upload issue still remains.

I have been in contact with a Senior Engineer over the past few months (June, July, August, September) and while the process may have been delayed due to injury, absence and holiday Networks have confirmed to him that there is an issue with the upload on the network and at the cabinet and that they will deal with it.

However, there is no timeframe. The network manager confirmed to the Senior Engineer recently that the work has not yet started and it’s not the only cabinet in the local area that needs upgrading and it is on the list.

I have had VM for over a year now and am 5 months away from renewal. I wonder if my service will finally be resolved by then.

happywithmy350
Knows their stuff

Welcome to VM - where nothing works, apart from the ability to remove ££££ from your bank account - that works PERFECTLY

Hi @Scage

Thanks for coming back to the thread. I have emailed Lee who was dealing with the field team to check what's happening here

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill