Menu
Dialled in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Gig1/Hub4 measuring speed

There are many speed test solutions on the internet that we have all used to test BT, Sky and 'slower' Virgin speeds. Virgin themselves recommend Speedtest.

When looking at Gig1 speeds Virgin recommend SamKnows as their Hub4 is SamKnows enabled. I have concerns over the results this produces (they seem to 'good' - just a feeling from years of IT experience). Anyway I tried a few tests from sites that are reliable and used regularly.

Firstly Watchdog:

archercj_0-1603276618080.png

then ofcom:

archercj_1-1603276684157.png

think broadband:

archercj_2-1603276704619.png

and finally the web based Virgin approved Speedtest

archercj_3-1603276739541.png

Disappointing eh. Well the Speedtest site suggests installing their application. Did this and:

archercj_4-1603276788933.png

and finally the one I always rely on, OVH:

archercj_5-1603276833740.png

What I am saying is speed testing is certainly not an exact science (especially with faster speeds). I suggest that people who are posting Gig1/Hub4 speed results consider using OVH or the Speedtest application (rather than web).

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gig1/Hub4 measuring speed

On the 1 Gbs contract with Hub4 Virgin prefer you to use Sam Knows.

What speed do you get at >> Sam Knows Real Speed << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

SamKnows is about as inconsistent as the British summer weather (both In and Out speeds), even tells you a test is running or no compatible device detected at times

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sam Knows is the only test that can take your home network out of a test result, as the customer accessible test is built into the Hub 4 and tests to that in addition to testing through the Ethernet or WiFi interfaces to your device.

That's why it's recommended by Virgin Media. And also Ofcom as they use data from embedded Sam Knows clients in the Hub 3 and 4 for Virgin Media's speed results as part of OFCOM Speed Code monitoring

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/speeds

With help from the experts at SamKnows, we’re given measurements that let us show you our broadband speeds, as required under Ofcom’s Voluntary Speed Code. Every Virgin Media Hub has the SamKnows measurement tech inside it, meaning we get a good picture of broadband speeds across our network and can provide you with all the speed information we need to under the Code, including an estimated speed range and minimum guaranteed download speed (this needs to be at least 50% of our advertised speeds).

The technical bit:

A subset of Hubs with SamKnows measurement tech are configured to run download and upload speed tests during peak hours (8-10pm). Each speed test uses three concurrent TCP connections and measures speed to a cluster of test servers located in a major London datacenter, outside Virgin Media's network. The sample of Hubs is no fewer than 3 lines per Virgin Media broadband service, across at least 250 of our local aggregation hubs (called a CMTS).

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Do you have a HUB4?

Do you really believe all the BS above?

If so you will know it is crap and so is the above mentioned software, there is little to no point if it is so inconsistent (go and look at some of the back to back result I posted via my profile/photos).

I have read some amount of crap here like it is the users PC to blame and NIC's deteriorate over time (mines is on a Intel Z87 so 2013ish), funny how it works next run 30 seconds later.

VM used to recommend Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test  (best now use Win 10 App) but again any result can vary.

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The problem is JHUK deciding on a reliable speed test operator that we can all use as a standard. I am thinking OVH (proof.ovh.net) is about the best. If we had a standard in the community it would make our comparison easier especially given the 'doubt' over Samknows (and the fact many of us use 3rd party routers anyway so cant use Samknows without reverting the Hub4 back to router mode)

My Gig1 is now showing around 850-890Mb/s download depending on which server I select on OVH

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Oh and as a side note VM's approved Speedtest by Ookla shows 299Mb/s / 52Mb/s 😂 when using the web based test but 952Mb/s / 53MB/s when you download the application to your PC and run the speed test that way

0 Kudos
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I found the same, the web based test was fine then when they launched the new App it read UL about 50% higher than it was now it is sorted and the web version is mostly far slower.

I go by my actual file downloads speeds from fast sites I know 99% of the time work, speedtest sites are not ideal but if you try a few of them and try a few times per day at different times.