Menu
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Gig1 Fibre

Good evening Virgin Media Community 👋,

I was on VM (Virgin Media's) website and they're offering me Gig1 Fibre speeds, because I'm in the one of the capital's supporting area's:

VirginMedia.Gig1-1.jpg

VirginMedia.Gig1-2.jpg

Well at the moment my ISP isn't BT / Openreach is not offering me FFTP or anything in my area.

OpenReach speeds.jpg

Anyway 🤗 I'm with BT at the moment with a download 80mbps & upload 20mbps, now I want FFTP but nobody is offering me FFTP only FFTC. I have a two questions 1 is Gig1 Fibre FFTP or FFTC and does it cost around £50 to £100 per month?

--

Kind regards,

DanTMan64

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Gig1 Fibre

Gig 1 can be FTTP or it can be traditional HFC, it doesn't matter as both will provide you 1GB. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hello jb66,

OK thanks for letting me know ASAP are you on Gig1 Fibre?

--

Kind regards,

DanTMan64

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi yes I am using 1Gig, to be honest 500mb would have been enough but I got a good deal

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hello jb66,

@jb66 wrote:

Hi yes I am using 1Gig, to be honest 500mb would have been enough but I got a good deal

Oh right OK 😋 I'm thinking about getting the Gig1 Fibre with Virgin Media, but right now I cannot because I'm in a open-contract with BT. Once I get it down then I can switch. What's the speeds like for you 🤔?

--

Kind regards,

DanTMan64

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Never dipped below 900 so very happy, not had any issues at all
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hello again jb66,

Oh wonderful, I'm getting 73mbps download and 20mbps upload speeds with BT, Openreach (the Company that fixes all the lines, poles etc) said that they don't have any plans for my local area. So if nothing from them comes in between now and June I will be switching to Virgin Media.

--

Kind regards,

DanTMan64

0 Kudos
chrison
Tuning in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I took delivery of my Gig1 modem today and powered it up. 

I'm in the London E18 area.

Installation went fine, but when I went to check the speeds, they were sending me about 70 - 90 Mbps - not the "Guaranteed Minimum" of 570Mbs they state in their contract, let alone the 1.12 to 1.14 Mbps specified on page three of their contract.

System Status reported no issues in the area and the box checked out fine.

I called Tech Support. They explained that they noticed on Dec 3rd that the neighbourhood is using the bandwidth, so they are in the process of upgrading their network to provide what we are paying for, and it should be available on Jan 18th, internal ticket ref F008635478. 

I was rather shocked that I had been sold something that they knew they cannot provide. I was also shocked that they explained they have no intention of offering a discount for only providing 10-20% of the promised speeds for at least two weeks, despite me paying for "Activation" (on an existing line) as well as the full monthly fee.

They pointed to the contract saying I had a 14 day free cancellation period - which expires before they fix the issue, so I lose that right, and an outright cancellation option if they can't provide the "Guaranteed Minimum" in 30 days from today.

Is this even legal? To sell something that they know they can't provide - and carry on charging me for the full service that they have no intention of providing for another few weeks?

I guess I'll find out on 18th if they actually do plan to provide a 1Gig service on the 1Gig line that I'm paying for, but this is an astonishing way of treating customers.

I'm not impressed.

Is anyone getting the service they are paying for?

Tags (2)
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I've never known a docsis 3.1 area to be over subscribed. Perhaps it's the upstream thsts congested as that uses 3.0

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hiya chrison,

@chrison wrote:

I took delivery of my Gig1 modem today and powered it up. 

I'm in the London E18 area.

Installation went fine, but when I went to check the speeds, they were sending me about 70 - 90 Mbps - not the "Guaranteed Minimum" of 570Mbs they state in their contract, let alone the 1.12 to 1.14 Mbps specified on page three of their contract.

System Status reported no issues in the area and the box checked out fine.

I called Tech Support. They explained that they noticed on Dec 3rd that the neighbourhood is using the bandwidth, so they are in the process of upgrading their network to provide what we are paying for, and it should be available on Jan 18th, internal ticket ref F008635478. 

I was rather shocked that I had been sold something that they knew they cannot provide. I was also shocked that they explained they have no intention of offering a discount for only providing 10-20% of the promised speeds for at least two weeks, despite me paying for "Activation" (on an existing line) as well as the full monthly fee.

They pointed to the contract saying I had a 14 day free cancellation period - which expires before they fix the issue, so I lose that right, and an outright cancellation option if they can't provide the "Guaranteed Minimum" in 30 days from today.

Is this even legal? To sell something that they know they can't provide - and carry on charging me for the full service that they have no intention of providing for another few weeks?

I guess I'll find out on 18th if they actually do plan to provide a 1Gig service on the 1Gig line that I'm paying for, but this is an astonishing way of treating customers.

I'm not impressed.

Is anyone getting the service they are paying for?

Thanks for the information, I ain't with Virgin Media yet my ISP is BT & I'm in a contract with them until 2022. But I'm not gonna lie I do need faster Internet for my property 😀.

--

Kind regards,

DanTMan64  

0 Kudos