Menu
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Gig1 - Faster Wifi Speeds than wired?!?!?!

Hello,

I recently upgraded to the Gig1 internet and I am a little concerned about the speeds I am getting.

Wireless I am getting between 50-300mbps (less in some dead-zones) depending on location/device etc. Which is pretty much the same as I was getting with the 500 package which is a shame.

Wired unfortunately is giving me around 200mbps max(often less), connected directly to the hub 4 via gigabit ethernet on my device I have tried with both cat6 and cat5e cables. 

Surely something is wrong? I know some drop off is expected but connected over gigabit ethernet port directly to the hub I am pretty much getting <200mbps. This is less than my wireless speed.

Having tested on samknows realspeed the connection to my hub is displaying around 900+mbps so if this is to be taken as accurate the problem must be with equipment, I have tried different ethernet cables and different devices (all for capable of gigabit speeds) so I am not sure what the issue could be, could it be the router?

0 Kudos
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gig1 - Faster Wifi Speeds than wired?!?!?!

If you are getting 950+ from SamKnows, then VM are supplying BB at the correct speed.  That seems to point to a problem with your equipment unfortunately,

Either the hardware is not capable, or software is limiting the NIC.  Sometimes people forget just because they get the 1GB supply, everything else will be up to spec, which unfortunately is not the case.

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Further to the above unfortunately the router status does not work with hub 4. (The page just hangs when you click it) But when I sign into my router and run a diagnostics check I get this.

Capture.PNG

Doesn't seem to indicate what these problems are but not inspiring me with hope!

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello

What results do you get https://samknows.com/realspeed/ to both hub and to device ?

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Okay thanks for the reply, given this fact then should I just revert back to my old package? I only got my new hub yesterday so well within the 14day cooling off period.

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

To the hub is always 900+ normally 950+ to be honest. To the device (again depending on the device/ connection type) but 200-300mbps close to the hub and around 150-200 on the gigabit ethernet wired directly to the hub.

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Try Sam Knows again with the PC in Safe Mode with Networking and post the results back.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos