Menu
HarisN
Tuning in
Message 1 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Gig1 Extremely Slow Speeds

Hey everyone, I recently just got the Gig1 package and was really excited. They sent out an engineer to install my hub 4 (which I’m not using as a modem for my ASUS router) but I’m getting no where near a 1GBps. It’s around 10pm right now and I’m next to my router and I’m getting 2MBps?!? I’ve even tried using the Hub 4 in router mode and it’s being extremely slow. The fastest the wifi has gotten for me is 200MBps but Virgin say the minimum should be 500 for the Gig1 package. I understand the load on the network is heavier due to lockdown but aren’t these speeds too low?

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 2 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gig1 Extremely Slow Speeds

Could you post information listed in the Downstream, Upstream and Network tabs under the Router Status option which can be found 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1

If I've helped let me know 🙂

10 year's managing 9 Virgin Media accounts, and things never got any better, closed last 4 accounts since January 2021 :L

I give 'my' experience to help where possible.
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 24
Flag for a moderator

WiFi speeds are not promised or guaranteed at all so whoever told you that is lying.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
HarisN
Tuning in
Message 4 of 24
Flag for a moderator

It does say on the Virgin Media Website the speeds they promise, if they don't meet those speeds you report it and if they cannot fix within 30 days you can exit the contract with no consequences. 

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/speeds

HarisN
Tuning in
Message 5 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Downstream 1.jpg

Downstream 2.jpg

Upstream.jpg

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Read the small print:

Don’t forget, our minimum guaranteed download speed is to your Virgin Media Hub, not the device you’re using WiFi on. Even when using a wired connection, some older devices might not support our fastest speeds.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
HarisN
Tuning in
Message 7 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Hey, it's not letting me post any of the photos in here?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Photos need approval before showing.

Copy and paste the logs ignoring any HTML errors when you post 

0 Kudos
HarisN
Tuning in
Message 9 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Right sorry my bad 😕
0 Kudos
enzostrano
Joining in
Message 10 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Speeds are guaranteed and in 2020 i doubt there’s still people not capable to understand a simple task like using a newer device, setting up the wifi or running a simple speed test next to the router and going behind a wall will reduce the signal.
0 Kudos