cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gig 1. WORST Upgrade I Ever Made

Pete_Notts
Up to speed

I had been on the 600 meg package for ages, and honestly there was never a problem.

The only few outages I ever had, I had been notified about by email and text, due to maintenance work - which is fine. Aside from that..? Solid as a rock on the SH 3

Upgraded..probably a bit unnecessarily to Gig 1 from Oomph, and received the Hub 4.

I am not a tech person, and so relied on transition being smooth, and performance and reliability comparable.

It was none of these things. It took a few days before temporarily I was finally receiving over 800 download. I could have lived with that.

Problem was with this hub..? Each time I restart my computer..a powerful custom build home computer..the hub just goes wonky, and chooses a new random/ lower speed.

It works fine on my mobile samsung, maxing out at over 500 on home wifi..which is ace.

But this time, over these past 24 hours, it gives me a MAXIMUM of 90 Mbps on my computer over ethernet. The cable is not damaged, and was fine whilst the service temporarily worked, with Speedtest results of circa 940...for a few days.

It's not the cable. I disconnect it, and use the computer wifi, and it slows again to circa 25 Mbps. Despite my mobile phone getting 20 times the speed on the same testing app...speedtest.net

When the Hub 4 first became active..and you go to Network Settings..It had labelled my Ethernet connection as "Network 15" ..odd title ??

Such a random title, but it did temporarily..for at least 3 days deliver the speed paid for.

Then it stopped delivering the speed. Now just never over 90 Mbps, no matter how many times I run speedtest, or disconnect all my equipment...yet still 500 meg plus on my samsung phone over wifi.

Also

After 12 hours of trying to get it to work, and trying every trick and piece of advice from here and Google to no avail..Well..?

The Network name for Ethernet then changed from 'Network 15' to VM..XXXX the same as my wifi name,  on the Ethernet adaptor settings page in My Computer - which surely it should have been in the first place, rater than some odd title of 'Network 15'

It didn't make any difference, and spoke to faults and retentions, who can see no issue  from their end.

I noticed that reboots of my system send the hub 4 connection to my computer into a tailspin.

Now the computer on ethernet will only hit 90 Mbps MAX..and wireless 25 or so - despite my mobile phone getting incredible speeds.

Upshot from retentions, is that they are going to send me out a 'new' old SH 3, and revert back to the 600 Mbps service which had never caused me a moments problem. If it works, and solves all this..? I will be exhausted but happy.

I will keep testing this temperamental SH 4 until it arrives, and see it it wants to deliver the paid for speed ever again, before being ditched.

It's annoying. I agreed to an upgrade to the SH 4, and still in the cooling off period..The net increase was only about a fiver a month. HOWEVER I am told, because I am going back to the old version, I will NOT be saving that money - the new SH 4 fee will continue to apply. Kind of makes 'cooling off period' seem a bit of 'sound good' publicity.

I really want an engineer to come out and set up SH 3 again. Old one is redunadant..and to go through the settings, and ensure that once installed, it's back to the solid stability with my now 'previous' Hub 3 reliability. Happy to pay for it.

I am NOT a tech. Computer reboots seemed to leave SH 4 perpetually confused about what it's meant to do/deliver..whilst apps like my phone render the maximum possible regardless.

I'm also extremely tired, in poor health and in bad nick overall. I'm wiped. Spending an entire night trying to fix something that had been temporarily working for a few days, and then back to a new hub being sent out. Or rather an old but stable SH3.

The kicker is, that after SH 4 was installed, I had to pay £65 to my CCTV company Prime Security..to come out..£65 an hour, to do the wizardry of resetting my computer app because of...oh hell I don't know, a new IP, so I could view my CCTV camera on my computer. Plugging it into the old/same Ethernet port on the new hub didn't work either until they came out. Same with the phone app for my CCTV...He flew through settings (CCTV guy I mean) on all these and reconnected them to SH. For £65 an hour I'd hope so.

So probably another offshoot charge with another hub. The guy has barely got home, and I'll be calling him or a colleague back. Supporting local businesses has it's limits..and my purse strings.

Sorry for waffling. I just hope that I can get the SH 3 installed back, and the same reliability I took too much for granted restored.

And people say that the SH 5 is even WORSE...??

GULP. I think at my age, I shall..and should of..stick/stuck to what was over and beyond the optimal best and truely necessary for me.

Back in limbo waiting to see what happens for now.

It's not an eloquent post. Just a very tired effort that I will re-read tomorrowwhen toolate to edit..so save any sarcasm or glib comments please 😉

Belated Happy 2022 to everyone and stay positive, safe and cheerful where possible 🙂

Pete

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for confirming your details via private message @Pete_Notts.

I have arranged for the appointment and you can find all the information that you need about this on your online account by clicking My Account and Track Your Order.

Regards

Steven_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

Pete_Notts
Up to speed

Plus I don't know how to copy paste results from the superhub.So damned tired I was meant to be in bed 12 hours ago. Still trying to figure it out..lol

1.png2.png4.png5.png

3.png

Pete_Notts_0-1641296907819.png

Just delete the thread. I cannot figure how to post results..lol.

Hey @Pete_Notts,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issues here on our forums.

I have been able to locate your account and can see that there is an issue with your upstream power levels that need a technician visit to resolve.

I can arrange the appointment from here but would need to confirm a few details via a private message, that I will drop over in a moment.

Please look out for the message and we can get started.

Regards,

Steven_L

Thanks for the crossover reply mate. I was so frustrated not knowing how to post results in 'normal size' to read, that I was about to ask you to delete the message from sheer embarrassment.

Thanks for the reply. I will check there, and stop talking here.

Pete